37: "Worked Up Over Nothing."

Time has fucking flown by since prom. We graduate tomorrow.

But just when we're supposed to be free and feel excitement, all I feel is on edge. Jack's been spacey lately, always rushing off and replying super late. And he always has this knowing, smug grin on his face and I have no idea what it's about.

No one else knows either.

"It's just weird because he hasn't said anything to you guys," I tell Jesse.

He shrugs. "We were never that close but yeah I feel like he would've said something to someone if something was actually wrong though."

I breathe out heavily before collapsing back on the sofa of Jesse's living room. "I don't understand!" I shout into a cushion.

Jesse rolls his eyes and takes the pillow from me. "There's probably a reasonable explanation for all of this. You're probably getting worked up over nothing."

I bolt upright and send him a death glare. "Worked up over nothing? Worked up over nothing?!" I take my phone out and press dial on Jack's contact. "I'll show you worked up for nothing," I mumble under my breath.

As I wait for my boyfriend to pick up I look directly into Jesse's eyes after putting the phone on speaker. He doesn't look at all convinced.

He picks up after about half a minute. It never used to take that long. "Hey, Juliet. Do you need something? I'm kinda busy right now."

His response is rushed like he can't wait for the conversation to be done. Jesse's brows furrow, clearly not used to hearing Jack speak to me like this.

"Oh, sorry. I don't wanna bother you I just wanted to talk to you. Can I see you tomorrow? We can go to graduation together and get coffee on the way," I ask. My tone is hopeful because I hope with all my heart he says yes. I know I was trying to prove a point and everything but it would just be so embarrassing to have him blow me off in front of Jesse.

He sucks in a breath and sighs. "Look, Kat. I'm really sorry but I thought you would want to get ready with Scarlett and Roxy. How about I take you out after?"

I fight back tears, not wanting to show him how upset I am. "Oh, sure," I tell him. "I just miss you, okay? I feel like you don't have time for me anymore." My voice grows quiet as I finish my sentence, not even sure if I wanted Jack to hear it.

Someone shouts to Jack on the other end of the line. "Yes!" He yells to the other person, sounding incredibly happy. "Okay, I gotta go but I'll see you tomorrow."

Keeping in my sobs grows challenging due to Jack's complete disregard for everything I just said. "Okay. Bye Romeo, I love you."

"Love you. Hey Da-!" Then the line goes dead.

I fall into Jesse's lap and let myself cry as I throw my phone across to the other side of the room. He strokes my head with one hand holds my hand with the other.

"What did I do wrong? I don't fucking get it." My words are strangled as I speak in my choked up state.

"I don't know what's going on with him, it's like he isn't even himself," Jesse tells me.

"I know!" I cry. I think for a few moments before shrugging Jesse's hands off me. I wipe my tears and march to over to collect my phone.

"Fox, what are you doing?"

I press my brother's contact and putting the phone on speaker. "Getting some fucking answers."

"Hello, Katrina. What reason are you calling me for?" He sounds chill like nothing is fucking wrong.