Chapter 5

~ Nimmi's POV ~

We reached the hospital and went straight to the information counter.

"Hi, I would like to check the ward of a patient?" I asked.

"Ok, name of the patient?" The nurse asked.

"Danny Khanna. Do you require any form
of identification?" I replied.

"Oh Mr Khanna, how are you related to him?" The nurse asked.

"I'm his daughter, Nimmi Khanna and this is my mother, Juhi Khanna. These are our identification cards." I said, setting the cards on the table.

She took a look at the cards and returned it back with a worried expression. She picked up the receiver and dialled somebody.

"What's taking so long? Mama asked.

"Mama, relax. They're just doing their job." I said.

"I think it's better if the both of you better follow me." The nurse said.

The nurse led us to a enclosed area where there wasn't much people.

"This is Mr Khanna's room." The nurse said and walked away.

A doctor emerged from the room.

"Doctor? How's my husband?" Mama asked.

"Who are you?" The doctor asked.

"I'm Juhi Khanna, his wife and this is our daughter, Nimmi." Mama replied.

"We're sorry." He said and I felt my heart slowly stopping.

This can't be true!

"His lungs have been punctured due to the large impact in the accident. We're currently placing him under life support so that he can breathe. But, unfortunately, that can't help him for long as his lungs can only limit certain amount of air. He's able to write but not talk. He's been asking for the both of you and I suggest you go see him." The doctor said and I felt my heart drop to me feet.

It was broken. No, shattered into tiny pieces. The man who held my hand and taught me to walk was going to die. I have to be strong, for Mama.

She was numb, I could see it from her eyes. She was going to lose someone she's been living her life with so far. Someone whom she loves and treasures really deeply.

I have to be strong for her.

"Mama? Let's go in and see Papa. Okay?" I said tears falling off my cheeks. I got no reaction from Mama so I had to lead her in.

I opened the door to Papa's ward.

"Papa." I called over softly.

"Dan." Mama broke when she saw him.

He looked at us, with pain stricken eyes. He held his hand out and passed me something.

A letter.

I nudged Mama, asking her to read it with me.

The contents read:

Dearest Juhi and Nimmi,

I may or may not have gone by the time you got this letter. But it's time for me to go. Juhi, Nimmi, please, don't cry. You know, I cannot bear to see tears in your eyes. I love the both of you so much that sometimes, it hurts. But, before I go I have a couple of things to leave behind. First, Juhi, please take very good care of our Nimmi. She's our only gem that we can't afford to lose. Secondly, please, don't grieve my death, people come and go in this world and nothing is permanent. But when it's your turn to go, I promise, I'll be the first one to meet tue both of you.

Mama nodded.

The letter continues:

Nimmi, you are the best daughter anyone could ever ask for. Please, take care of Mama, she needs you. Would you do just one more last favour? I have a close friend, Sameer. Sameer has a son, his name is Anand. Sameer and I have planned to get the both of married. I believe that Anand will be able to give you a happy and fulfilled life the same way I gave you. Please? At least do this for me?

I felt like I could hear the thunder roaring from a distance. Papa held out his hand.

I didn't know what to do. Everything was at a standstill.

His heart monitor started beeping slower and I know he doesn't have much time. I quickly grabbed his hand as a promise and he smiled.

"Papa. I love you. Please don't go." I cried.

Papa smiled and closed his eyes.

"Dan? Wake up!" Mama shrieked.

"Doctor!" I shouted.

The doctors came in and checked.

"We're sorry." He said and Mama let out a cry as I stood there as still as a statue.

Be strong Nimmi.

"Mama? Remember what Papa said? Remember your promise? Not to be sad?" I said, my two hands on my mother's face.

"Papa is gone." Mama said.

"I know Mama, I'm sad too. But we must keep the promise we made." I said hugging my mother.