Chapter 3

\|/ Amber's POV \|/

I woke up to the sound of glass bottles clattering around downstairs.

I sighed and got out of bed. While tiredly rubbing my eyes, I walked through the house to try and find Mum.

"Mum?" I called.

"KITCHEN!" I heard her shout.

She was putting some alcohol and money in a bag.

"What are you doing, Mum?" I asked her.

"Shh! I have a hangover! I'm going to a friends for the day. I'll be back tonight." She told me.

"Okay, Mum. Be safe." I said.

This happens all the time. She goes to a friends, gets too drunk to stand, and she will be dropped off by a stranger at some point.

I walked back upstairs and waited for the sound of her leaving.

As soon as she did, I smiled to myself. A whole day of blasting music and playing drums.

I plugged my iPod up to the stereo in my room, and pulled my drums to the center of the room. I put my playlist 'Good for Drums' on shuffle and sat down.

I grabbed my drumsticks as 'She's Kinda Hot' started. What a coincidence.

I took all of my angry energy and used it to beat my drums.

I smirked to myself when I saw the boys watching.

\|/---\|/

I ended up playing my drums for 3 hours straight. I checked the time and it was almost 4 in the afternoon. I really slept in today. I sat on my bed and contemplated life for a while before I started to do something.

I grabbed my razor and climbed into the attic. The attic was almost 5 ft. tall and it had a window that you could climb out of to sit on the roof.

I did the routine climb up to the top of the roof and sat there. I pulled the razor out of my pocket and rolled up my sleeves.

I pressed the blade to my wrist and started to move it, but I was interrupted by a car slowing down in front of my house. I quickly stumbled back into the window and fled from the attic, to my room. I put the razor away and sat on my bed as I heard my mum stumble in the house.

"AAAMBERRRR!" She slurred.

I glanced out my window and saw the boys watching me again. Are they stalking me or something?

"Yes, Mum?" I asked and took a deep breath.

I heard her stumble up the stairs and walk into my room. She was sweaty and had makeup smeared across her skin.

"Ya know, I don't like you very much." She smirked.

"Okay, Mum." I frowned.

"It's probably because your fat. And you're as ugly as your father." She drunkenly slurred.

"Okay." I said and blinked away the tears.

"'Okay.' Who?" She squinted her eyes at me.

"Okay, Mum." I let a tear fall.

"You're such a baby!" She shouted and stumbled towards me. She grabbed my wrist and made me stand up from the bed.

I flinched in pain as I felt the cuts rip open.

She stared at me and then looked at my arm in her hand. "Why is your arm bleeding?"

"I scratched it earlier." I lied.

She ripped my sleeve up and I whimpered at the pain.

"You're not aloud to do that." She pointed to my wrist angrily

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I asked in disbelief.

"DONT SWEAR!" She screamed.

That was the last straw.

"YOU HAVE TO BE JOKING. YOUV'E DONE NOTHING BUT BEAT ME SENSELESS AND INSULT ME AND YOUR MAD THAT I CUT? YOURE NOT ALOUD TO TELL ME WHETHER I CAN OR CAN'T HURT MYSELF!" I yelled.

She seemed taken a back by what I said, but quickly recovered. "You think you have the right to yell at me?"

"Yep." I nodded.

She grabbed my head and smashed it into the headboard of my bed. She punched me multiple times before I felt myself getting dizzy. I pushed her away from me and she drunkenly stumbled backwards.

I took that as my chance so I ran downstairs and out the front door.

"YOURE GOING TO REGRET THAT!" She yelled and sprinted towards me.

I ran down the sidewalk and saw the 4 boys come out of their house.

"AMBER!" Calum yelled.

I sprinted towards him and didn't stop until I got into his arms.

I cried into his chest as I heard my mum scream my name.

"Shhh. I got you. You're safe, now." He whispered as he stroked my hair.

I opened my eyes when I heard sirens. I watched in joy as they cuffed my mum and put her in the car. She spent the whole time yelling at me and falling over, but they did a good job at keeping her under control.

"I'm free." I whispered to myself.

I watched as a police officer was talking to the other boys.

"Hey, I'm gonna go talk to them, okay?" Calum gently pulled away.

I nodded and stood there for a minute, staring at the calming stars.

"They want to talk to you." Calum told me as he approached.

I nodded and walked over to the police officer. "Can you tell me all of the events that happened in the last couple days?"

I told him everything. The stealing, the beating, her partying and coming home worse, all of it. The only parts I left out were the cutting and star gazing.

I walked back over to Calum, and engulfed him on another hug. "Thank you for everything."

"Of course." He hugged back. "Now, go pack your things."

"Huh?" I looked at him with confusion.

"You can't live by yourself. You're staying with us." He smiled.

"Are you serious?!" I asked in surprise.

"Yeah." He laughed.

I hugged him again and went to my flat.

I walked around and put things in boxes that I didn't bother to tape closed since I'm just walking them across the yard. It took longer than I thought it would have, making me realize how much stuff I really had. Looking around I realized this is my chance to change. This is my chance to reach out and try to succeed and what I want to be.

This is my opportunity to make a change for myself.