Chapter 16

\|/ Ambers POV \|/

"Here's what's gonna happen: I'll help you lean the mattress against the fence, then I'll climb over. I'll take it to the dumpster and come right back, while you stay here." I sternly ordered.

She gulped and nodded. Why did she seem nervous?

We flipped the mattress so it was on its side and we leaned it against the fence.

"Stay right here." I said.

She nodded and bit her lip.

I quickly averted my gaze and climbed over the fence like I have many times before.

I dragged the mattress over and tossed it into the dumpster. I jumped back over and found Mattie fiddling with her fingers. That really hurt my injuries. My body feels like it's on fire.

I nervously chewed on my sweater paw as we walked back to the house in silence.

"How do you know how to climb the fence like that?" She asked.

"You really want to know?" I looked at her.

She nodded and I went back to being shy.

"My mum used to make me steal stuff from that gas station." I explained.

"C-Can you show me?" She asked.

I looked into her bright green eyes and almost lost it.

"Of course." We walked back to it and I thought about how to teach her.

"Okay so you go like this. You put your foot here, hands here, and you take a step. Then, you swing this leg over, turn yourself, and bring this leg over.. Then, just jump." I explained what I did as I did it. "Now you try."

She followed my steps and made it over fairly easily.

"There you go." I smile sat her widely.

"How did you steal stuff?" She asked.

"I snuck through that window." I pointed to it.

"What kind of stuff do they have in there?" She narrowed her eyes.

"A little bit of everything. Why, what are you thinking?" I asked her.

"Friendship bracelets?" She smiled.

"Yeah, they have them. What me to get some?" I asked her.

She nodded.

"What color?" I smiled.

"Black. It's my favorite, just like yours." She giggled.

GIGGLED!! I think I'm literally melting.

"Yeah sure. Stay put. It will only take a second." I told her.

She nodded and I did the routine, before finding the area with jewelry.

I picked out the first black friendship one I saw, eagerly wanting to get back to Mattie.

I climbed back out and pulled the bracelets out of my pocket.

It was a black braided string and they each had half a heart on them.

"Which one do you want?" I asked her.

She chose the one with the word "friends", so I had the one that said "best".

"Thank you." I smiled at her.

"For what?" She asked.

"You've been so nice to me this whole time. You haven't judged me or looked at me like I'm a freak." I looked up at her, noticing that she was actually about and inch taller than me.