The Rest of the Crew

A few days past by and there was no sign of Zak after we had a little chat. The weather has been wet and cold makes for a perfect day in bed but for me today was going to be busy, today is the anniversary of Leigh's death. I had white tents ordered so they could still huddle around her grave, white and pink roses were being delivered and for Zak and the family's sake I closed off their section.

I noticed a women standing by Leigh's grave and I ran toward them to tell them this plot is off limits.

"Hey! Sorry only family allowed" I stood behind her.

"Sorry, just wanted to see" she never turned her back to me and she walked away leaving me puzzled as to who she was.

I brushed it off as I had no time to mess around, I wanted things perfect and kind of wanted everything done so Zak wouldn't have to come find me and complain about something I hadn't done.

As sunset was starting Zak and his crew started to walk up, you had Aaron, Zak, Jay, Billy, Zak's mum and I'm guessing Leigh's mum too. They all wore sunglasses to hide their eyes, expect Zak he bared his face to all.

I took one more glance and watched as they all comforted each other, bowing their head and holding their mouths. Such a tragedy. I kept starring and my eyes caught Zak's glaze, it felt like he was burning my eyes. It felt all wrong, I shook his look off and went into my hut.

"Dinner for one" I popped a microwave dinner in and filled my glass with some wine and laid on the couch. For once I had done all my work before closing hours, I decide I didn't want to be outside so I stayed in waiting for them to finish their little ceremony and go home.

I heard a truck pulling up and jumped to my feet. "Fuck! The new tombstones!" I called out and threw my boots back on and headed outside.

I re-directed the truck so they wouldn't disrupt Zak, I walked through the yard accidentally hitting someone.

"Oh sorry" I glanced up to see Aaron. "Hey" I smiled at him.

"Hey sorry about that" he stood away form the group at another grave.

"Goodwin? Family member?"

Oh Tilly such a bad conversation starter; yea lets talk dead people!

I shook my head.

"Yea it's my grandfather, I don't come here much. I know I should but life gets a bit chaotic" he looked guilty and shrugged his shoulders.

"Oh how I agree, life is pretty busy" I rocked back and forth thinking of what to say next or do I leave him to it.

"Sorry I'm being rude, I'm Aaron you're?"

"I'm Tilly, I'm the groundskeeper of this cemetery" we shook hands.

"Very odd job for a woman like you, not saying you can't do it -- like uh you don't see many females in this job shit" he rolled his eyes, I laughed at him.

"It's okay, it's not the best but it's a job and I secretly like it. My parents are buried in the old part of this cemetery so I feel a bit closer to them" I smiled.

"Oh so a family business thing?"

"No way. I don't have my life figured out yet, I've gone from job to job and haven't found something yet that I'd like to do forever. I use to be a lawyer" I wiggled my eyebrows.

"Wow lawyer, interesting. I guess you gotta do what's best for you, sorry about your parents."

"It's okay, thank you." We both heard Zak call for Aaron. "I guess I'll leave you to it" we shook hands and said our goodbyes.

I had finished off with the truck and cleaning up Leigh's grave when the sane woman appeared in front of me.

"Back again?"

"Sorry yes I am, just caught the ending of that little ceremony."

"You better not be a fan trying to get their noses in their private life? I will call the cops ASAP!"

She laughed.

"Oh no, I knew Leigh very, very well." She waved me off and left again, what was this woman's deal?