A New Friend?

As lock up came after Zak left I went back to my hut and finished my cold microwaved dinner and sculled the last of my wine. I heard a knock at my door and instantly panicked, I swear I locked the gates and I even did two checks of the ground.

It's probably and axe murderer! See working here isn't all quite!

I held a bat in my hands and opened the door to see that woman again.

"I'm sorry but I need to leave and you've locked the gates."

Speak Tilly.

"Oh um okay. Just give me a sec." I threw my hand behind the door and grabbed my keys, we walked together to the gate.

"You said you know Leigh, how?"

"I'm a very very close friend, sometimes I feel like I practically here we're so much alike." She laughed and brushed her hair back.

"You'd know Zak too?"

"More than anyone" I looked at her strange. "Well Leigh knew him best, he seems to be taking this all so hard."

"Well ofcourse. That was his wife, he loved every single inch of her and he now walks along the life by himself. I can't imagine loosing someone like he did, how short their time was." I got a bit choked up.

"You're right. It was short but very well loved, it was better than a fairytale." She hummed along after she spoke.

"I've never seen you here before? Why didn't you stay for the full service today? Zak could've used a friend like you?" We had reached the gates.

"Look our situation is complicated, but thank you for walking me out it was very sweet of you." She waved me goodbye and walked down the long, dark lane by herself.

I thought to myself what was she doing here late and now leaving in pitch blackness by her self, I turned around and offered my lantern.

"Hey!" I called out but there was no sign of her.

She could've been kidnapped Tilly, run!

--

My alarm buzzed at 4am waking me up, I threw my hand over it and slammed down on it causing it to break.

"Fuck."

Despite my job and how odd it is I needed help, I needed to hire someone who would help me do these things. This cemetery is too big for one person and it's exhausting and my poor body aches all night long.

I rang a job seeker firm and asked them to find me someone, they told me my chances were slim but they'll do their best. I hung up and went on with my day, firstly mowing. I drove my machine around the grounds making sure I get every inch, I had a funeral at 9am and needed to finish the grave and putting their tombstone ready.

Soon the crowds arrived, majority coming for the funeral and others that come by and spend time with their loved ones. Among the crowd I notice a familiar tall man walk my way, it was Zak.

"Tilly?" He called out.

"Hey Zak" I shook his hand and forced a smile.

"I just wanted to apologise for the other day, I was rude." He pulled out a single rose and offered it to me.

"Oh that's so sweet, thank you. And it's okay, maybe I said too much I tend to do that every now and then as you can see I don't have many people to talk too." I accepted the rose and smelt it, it's the sweetest flower that blooms.

"So how are you Zak?" I held the rose in my hand and looked at him, poor thing still looks like he hasn't slept.

"Been better, thank you for yesterday too. It was good to have family and no one else." He gave me an attempt of a smile.

"That's okay, um there was a woman lingering around saying she knew Leigh really well and even mentioned that they were practically the same. Do you know who she is?" He squinted his eyebrows and tried to think.

"No one knew Leigh like I did, she had no friends due to she cut everyone off way before we met. There's been no other woman around, this is a bit weird." He rubbed his head and I knew he had enough of this talk, I squeezed the rose not releasing its thorns.

"Shit." I whispered as blood traced down my fingers.

I caught Zak's eye as he watched the blood pour down, he took my hand and went inside my hut.

"Here, put pressure on it" he handed me a at cloth and held it around my fingers.

"God I'm so silly" I hissed against my teeth, Zak took a seat next to me and watched me carefully.

"Are you all alone Tilly?" He rested his head on his hands.

"In one way yes, another no." I smiled at him and went back to studying my hand.

"I'd really like to see you again Tilly, if that's okay?" He voice shook through that sentence and he would not look at me.

"Are you sure?" Why would he want to see me?

"Yea, um I'll come by tonight and I'll bring dinner. Look I've gotta go" he stood up and rushed out of here, his voice still trialled out of my place but he was gone.