Fortunate Accidents- 4

I open my eyes. I'm in the taxi. I'm hanging there, my seat belt cutting into my sides. We are in a ditch, I can tell because I can hear cars in the distance but see mud. We have tipped. My head hurts. I look to my left and see Skylar, she is laying there. She is unconscious or maybe dead. I put my second and third finger on her neck and feel for a pulse. Nothing. I try again, this time I hold my fingers there for thirty seconds. I move them around feeling for her pulse. Nothing. I open her mouth and put my hand there. She is breathing! Thank goodness.
"Help!" I scream at the top of my lungs when I scream it hurts. My head and my stomach.
I remember that Sky has a phone. I reach into her pocket and feel around for her phone. I feel something cold and pull it out. It is her phone. There is a large singular crack through the middle of it. I press the button on top. The screen turns on. I swipe and it unlocks. I call 000 (that's the Australian 911) and hold the phone to my ear.
"Hello, emergency services. How can I help?" A lady answered.
"I need an ambulance on the Melbourne M21. A kilometre or so past the small bridge, near the turn off M24. The taxi I'm in has rolled into a...
/---/---/---/---/

That's all I can remember. After that, things went black and the next thing I know I'm lying in a hospital bed hooked up to I.V.s and my stomach aches.
"You're awake." A nurse walks into my private room.
"Yeah. My stomach hurts." I say.
"I'll get right to that." She nods grabbing a packet of tablets and a glass of water.
She handed me a tablet and the glass of water. I take the tablet and hand her the now half full glass.
"So, do you remember what happened?" The nurse asked. I looked at her name badge Corrine it read.
"I remember waking up after we had crashed. I remember calling 000 and telling them where I was then that was it." I say.
"Do you remember who was in the taxi with you?" She asks. Obviously, she has to make sure I don't have memory loss, as far as I'm concerned I'm perfectly fine aside from some now dimmed stomach pain.
"Skylar, my cousin. I thought she was dead. The taxi driver, I think Rhonda was her name. I don't remember seeing her after we crashed. I don't think I looked that way." I say. Skylar and Rhonda are probably in rooms next to me. I'm sure they're fine.
"Yes very good." The nurse says, she turns away for a brief second and focuses herself. Something is not right, where are Skylar and Rhonda?
"Where are they?" I ask, to be honest with myself I don't want to know the answer but I need to ask.
"Well, you were hit by a semi-trailer and knocked off the road. The truck hit Mrs Parker's side of the taxi causing a panic attack leading to a cardiac arrest." I knew what that meant. Cardiac arrest, another word for she's dead! She had a heart attack and died. And she was married, this is awful. I feel so bad, maybe if Skylar and I hadn't been talking so much she would still be here, instead Skylar and I were listening to music loudly and didn't pay any attention to the fact that it could have been very distracting for Rhonda.

"What about Skylar? How is she?" I ask. Surely Skylar is alright. She was sitting behind Rhonda so she got hit harder than I did. She was alive when I last saw her so she obviously was alright.

"Miss Richards is stable. She has awoken but has a broken leg, four cracked ribs and severe head trauma. If you had not called when you did she could possibly be deceased." The nurse says. I hadn't realised how much damage the accident had caused.

"Is the truck driver alright?" I ask.

"Yes, he had quite the shock and apologises profusely about his actions." The nurse said very seriously.

"Okay," I say. All I really feel like doing is sleeping. Wether I'd be able to get to sleep I don't know but I sure wanna try.

"I'll leave you to get some rest." She says and walks out of the room.

I'm a bit of a mess. I'm still shocked that we even got hit in the first place. Then I remember, it sucks. Right now I'm supposed to be meeting the one and only Colleen Evans instead I'm here, in a hospital bed by myself.

I look around the room and see a remote for the t.v. mounted on the wall. I grab the remote and turn the t.v. on. I look at the time, 8:37PM. The show ended nearly 40 minutes ago. I'm so bummed. I want my mum, I need her to come here and hold me. I need to tell her about Rhonda and tell her how I'm sorry I wasted her money on a Miranda show ticket and didn't even get to go. I'll tell her I love her and that Skylar is alright. I'll tell her I need her. I do, I need my mum. I miss her and I need her. My eyes water, I start crying. I find this strange, I never cry. Not since when I was 10 and mum told me that dad didn't leave her for someone else but he died. She raised by herself, she raised a young girl by herself, working four jobs and renting an apartment in a bad neighbourhood. I didn't about where we lived, how it looked or about the people living around us. I cared that there was an us. Mum and I, an invincible team.

I wipe away the tears from my eyes and smile. I smile for it's the only thing I can do. I don't even know if mum knows I've been in a car accident.

I press the button thing and a nurse comes in.

"What can I do for you, Miss Walker?" She asks. It's not the same nurse I had before.

"Do you happen to know if my mother has been informed about the accident?" I ask.

"I'm not sure, I can confirm if you'd like." She says.

"Yes, I'd appreciate that." I reply. I just hope mum already knows.

She walks back in, "Looks as though we haven't notified your mother. Would you like me to or do so yourself?" She has a phone in her hand.

"I'd like to myself," I say and she hands me the phone.

I type in mum's number and wait. It dials.

"Hello." I hear mum's voice as she picks up the phone.

"Mum!" I say, glad to hear her voice.

"Tailah!" She says. "What's up baby?"

"Well, I don't think anyone has told you yet but I have been in a car accident."

Before I can continue mum cuts me off, "Oh my gosh! Are you alright?"

"Yeah I'm fine, my stomach hurts a bit and I have a headache," I tell her.

" Oh, darling." She says.

"I'm alright," I say.

"Hang on Tai, there's someone at the door. I'll be right back." She says putting the phone down. I could hear the door open and mum say hello. She sounded puzzled. I could hear a voice but couldn't make out what they were saying.

"No! I can't!" I hear mum yell.

"Mum? Mum are you alright?"

"I love you Tai!" She yelled.

"I love you too mum. What's wrong? MUM!!!" I cried.

Nothing, she was gone...

A/N

Hey! It's me!

So this was 1300 words, my longest chapter ever! I just couldn't stop writing!

Do you like the book so far? It's my first Joshleen story so you can expect it to be a bit... ish...

Comment, vote and add to your library! I'd really appreciate it!

This story is inspired from MysteriousWasHere as her stories are amazing!

Bye!

~Hailey