Fortunate Accidents- 17

What was I meant to do now?

Colleen and Josh are gone and I didn't really think of something to do while they were gone. Maybe I'd make something or go do something.

I walked upstairs towards my bedroom and as I passed Colleen and Josh's room I spotted something. I stopped and stood at the door and looked in. I saw a laptop with a purple 'C' on it. I figured that it was Colleen's. There was one thing I wanted to do but I don't know if it would even work. Oh well, only one way to find out...

I walked into Colleen and Josh's room and picked up Colleen's laptop of the bed. I remembered how to turn it on because Colleen had shown me when we were in the hospital.

I opened up emails and clicked on 'Send To' and typed in the email address.

Hey,

It's Tailah, I haven't been able to talk to you in so long.

A lot has happened, by a lot I mean a lot!

I miss you a lot and I really want to see you.

I love you and email me back when you get the chance.

I hit send and looked at the screen for a while. I really hoped it would go through.

I closed the lid of the laptop and decided that I'd come back later and see if I had gotten a reply.

-----3 hours later-----

I walked back up the stairs to check if I had gotten an email back.

I opened the lid of the laptop and clicked into emails.

There was 1 new message. It was a reply from my message.

I opened it up and started reading.

Tailah,

I have missed you so much!

I'm so sorry about all that's happened, she told me everything.

When can we meet up again? I really miss you!

Love you!

I felt reassured, they'd replied. Of course I was going to reply back, but first I needed to get rid of the email I'd sent and the one I'd received.

After deleting them I replied to the email.

I really wanna see you too but I have to wait, Colleen and Josh (my new parents) don't know I'm even contacting you.

I don't know what to do. I'm here, at the house, by myself right now and it'll be dark in half an hour. Any ideas?

I hit send. I'm so happy to know I have a way to contact the second most important person in my life right now and to know they still love and care about me.

-----

I am sitting in the loungeroom now, watching the remainder of the episode that I was watching earlier today. It's really good, I understand why Colleen and Josh love it so much. It's interesting, very interesting.

Just as the show was about to end I heard a noise outside, a ruffling of something. It was pitch black outside so looking out the window wouldn't have helped me any. I was used to hearing noises in my old apartment but not in this house. It was normally pretty quiet. I got up off the couch and walked over to the front door to make sure it was locked.

I pulled and tried to turn the handle and it didn't budge, good, it was locked. I walked over to the window and peered out, my cold hands surrounding my eyes in hopes that I could see better. I couldn't see anything and let out the breath I didn't realise I was holding.

Why am I so freaked out by all this? It's just a noise I heard outside that was probably the wind.

If Colleen and Josh had a landline I would call them but I hadn't seen one in the house and they don't have children or other people besides me staying here so why would they?

I heard the noise again. This time much louder and I had no clue what it was. Well, it reminded me of something. Something that I had never heard again prior to this very moment.

-----Flashback-----

One night when mum was out working and I was at home like usual I heard a noise. Connor was with me because he was only in High School at this point and hadn't left home.

We were in 1 of the 2 bedrooms in the house and we heard the noise. Connor somehow knew what it was, I was just plain terrified. I had wished for nothing more than for mum to hold me and tell me she loved me but she wasn't there.

"Everything's gonna be okay, but you've gotta listen to me okay?" Connor whispered to me.

"Uh huh," I nodded and whispered.

"Hop in the closet, I'll close the door and you stay in there quietly until I come get you," Connor told me. I nodded and he helped me into the tiny closet.

By the time Connor came and got me out it had been over an hour.

"What happened?" I asked him.

"Someone came and took some of our things," Connor told me. I couldn't see his face because he had turned off the lights.

He helped me out of the closet and turned the lights on.

I saw his face, all red and purple. His lip bleeding and his cheek scratched.

I gasped. I had never seen him so injured.

"It's all right. I made them go away," He assured me. I wasn't worried so much about the break in but more about Connor.

"What happened to you?" I asked him. Me, being only 7, didn't realise what robbers did and that Connor possibly could have been killed standing up to one to protect me.

"I hit my head on the cupboard door," He lied. I believed him of course. I had no reason not to, I trusted him with my life and loved him so much.

He never really told me what happened that night. All I know is that he never let me out of his sight and would stand up against anyone to protect me. When I'm with him I know nothing can hurt me, I love him so much and miss him. Good thing I can at least email him now...

A/N

Hey!

Did you guess who Tailah was writing the emails to?

This was more of a background chapter, something to give you a look into Tailah's relationship with her brother.

Thankyou so so so much for taking time out of your day or night, to read my book. I'm sorry if it's crappy or super boring.

Have an awesome day! :)

Bye bye!

~Hailey