Chapter 1

Carl's POV

I was eating breakfast with Enid and Maggie when my dad came running up the steps.

The three of us turned to face him in surprise.

"Where is everyone else?" he asked urgently.

"Still asleep," Maggie said. "Why?"

My dad went over to the loudspeaker we had installed a few months earlier and spoke into it.

"Everyone wake up," he demanded. "There's something I need to discuss with you."

A few moments later, everyone came flooding up and down the stairs to the 3rd floor.

Every time we had a group meeting, Maggie would go over to the railing that overlooked her room on the 2nd floor and wait, as if expecting Glenn to come out with his usual hard yet kind expression.

Today wasn't an exception. She leaned far over the railing, an expectant look on her face. Enid and I made eye contact. We had pitiful looks on our faces that we tried to hide from Maggie. Maggie hated pity.

Once she finally gave up and came to sit back with us, the entire group had gathered in the cafeteria.

"Alright," my dad said loudly once everyone was quiet. "We're getting low on supplies; everyone knows that."

"Haven't we tried to have this discussion before?" Daryl asked at the same volume as my dad. "There's nothing we can do that we haven't tried."

It was true. Over the past few months, we have tried about a hundred methods to find food and supplies. They all had either not worked, or worked for a little while.

"That's where you're wrong, Daryl," my dad said, pointing at him. "While I was on my last run, I saw this gigantic plaza. I try to go there because I knew it was a job for us. All of us."

A few people started protesting, saying that there is no way this place would be able to stay safe if we all left.

He eventually was able to calm everyone down. "I'm gonna have 4 people stay here and protect this place."

I looked around at the rest of the group. I really didn't want to be the one to stay.

"Deanna, Aiden, Spencer, and Denise," he said, making direct eye contact with them. "Will you guys stay here?"

After some hesitation, they looked at each other and nodded.

I was glad that Aiden and Spencer were staying back. Denise and Deanna aren't really fighters, so having the two boys with them would definitely help.

"Okay," my dad said after thanking the 4. "Everyone else, gear up. We need to leave in a few hours."

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: And here we go