Chapter 27

JC's POV

3 days later

I quietly walked down the street as the sun slowly crept over the trees.

Finally spotting Rick's house, I quickened to a jog until I was at their front door.

"Hello, JC," a voice to my right said.

I turned in surprise to see Rick sitting on a swinging chair.

I put my hand on my chest and exhaled deeply. "You scared me."

"Yeah," he said, nodding. "I get that a lot. So what are you doing here?"

"Um," I started. "I was just wondering if you could watch this place for a few hours. I'm just gonna be going for a walk outside the walls."

Though Rick seemed confused as to why the walk had to be outside the walls, he nodded. "Yeah, sure," he agreed.

"Thanks," I said and bounded off the porch.

What I didn't know was that someone was watching from Rick's window.

Making sure I was stocked up on guns, knives, and food, I headed to the gate.

No one was on guard watch at the moment so I decided to just climb up to the post and go over.

As I put my foot on the first rung of the ladder, I heard a voice behind me.

"I thought we agreed to one week of peace."

Carl's POV

JC sighed yet didn't turn around.

"I'm just going for a walk, Carl," she said, a little frustration in her voice.

"That is bullcrap and we both know it," I said. "You're going to look for Negan."

JC lowered her head, her silky blond hair falling around her face.

"One week," I reiterated. "I thought that wasn't to much to ask."

Finally, she sighed and turned to look at me.

"I can't," she said desperately. "Not while Negan is still out there. I have to kill him before he kills us."

I knew that convincing her to stay was going to do nothing. "And you think you can do this yourself?"

She shrugged. "Sure."

I gave her a reproachful look. "Look," I started. "I get it."

JC scrunched her eyebrows together in confusion. "You get what?"

"I know that your group thinks of you as this...invincible person that can do anything. And I know that you're trying to live up to that. But, come on, you can't do this on your own. If you're so sure about going out there, I'm coming with you."

"Carl, you just got back," she sighed. "Just because I can't take a break doesn't mean you can't."

"I don't care," I said honestly. "I'm coming."

She simply stared at me for a bit before signing. "Whatever," she gave in. "Come on, we gotta move quickly and be back before people start to worry."

I nodded and we climbed up the ladder to the guard post.

Once we got to the top, she turned to me and asked, "Does anyone even know you're here?"

I shook my head. "Besides you, no."

She chuckled. "I swear, you're gonna give Enid a heart attack."

And with that, she jumped down to the other side of the wall.

After a moment, I followed her.