Chapter 5

Enid's POV

The ride to JC's home was spent in silence. Nobody seemed to have anything to say.

I looked over as I saw a member from JC's group make eye contact with me and Carl.

When he saw that we were holding hands, he smiled a little before looking out the window.

I let my head rest on Carl's shoulder for the rest of the way while he traced circles on the back of my hand with his thumb.

Soon, we pulled to a stop in front of a big gate.

JC gave us the okay and we flooded out of the jeep.

JC came to the front of the mob.

"Alex!" she called. "It's JC, open up!"

Soon the gates slowly opened and we walked inside.

As I took in the interior, I was reminded immediately of Alexandria. The way everything looked so peaceful. The two-story houses lining the streets. Kids running around, playing and laughing.

Carl must have recognized it, too, because he inhaled sharply and his grip tightened on my hand.

Before this moment, I could only remember Alexandria when it was burning and being destroyed. I still had nightmares about how Carl and I barely escaped with Judith. But now, looking around, I could picture some fuzzy memories of what Alexandria had been like before.

JC turned to face us. "Alright," she said. "Get into groups with all the people you want to live with."

I gathered into a group with Carl, Rick, and Michonne.

I watched as Maggie, Sasha, and Abraham gathered into a group. Carol and Daryl got into one as well.

"Okay," JC said once we were done. "Mike, you take Daryl and Carol to the house at the end of the street on the left. Tim, you take Maggie, Sasha, and Abraham to the one next to it. I'll show Carl, Enid, Rick, and Michonne to their house."

We all split off. We started following JC to our house.

"So," JC said. "How long are y'all planning on staying here?"

"Until you kick us out, I guess," Rick said. "But I would like to be able to go back home and talk to my other group members."

"That can be arranged," JC said easily. "I have to go on a run tomorrow, anyways. You can just come with me."

"Alright," Rick agreed.

Soon, JC stopped in front of a blue house with a wrap-around porch.

"Alright," JC said, gesturing. "This ones yours."

"Thanks," I said.

She turned back to me and gave me a genuine smile.

"I'll let you get settled," she said, starting to walk away. "We're having a town gathering later today if you want to come."

Rick nodded in thanks.

"Oh," JC said like she remembered something she had forgotten. "Take a shower."

We chuckled and nodded. We then stepped inside to our new house.

---------------------------------------------
Author's Note: JC's community has been introduced! So what do you think? Is it a perfect safe haven? Or will it end up like Alexandria?