Flight

the photo is basically half of the room she's in. It's the same all the way around in a circle. The floor is in the middle. you'll understand soon

-x-

I marched down the hallway. I was headed toward the cafeteria. My hair flounced behind me and my gun holster banged lightly against my thigh. Agent Coulson didn't want me near her. I have an.. Aggressive personality. I come off as stone cold. Emotionless. Only because i had trained myself to not feel anything and because of everything i had seen. It played in my head now. The screams of dying children as they burned alive. I hadn't meant too. I felt my bottom lip start to quiver. I bit down on it. Hard. Just to get it to stop. "Stop it." a voice said harshly. I wasn't sure if it was the voice inside my head or not because it sounded exactly like... I looked over to see Barton next to me keeping up with my pace.

"Stop what." i asked smoothly.

"You know what Nat." he replied. His voice was hard. Of course he knew. If there was one thing Barton and i understood about each other it was that we didn't like killing we were just good at it and we were no strangers to pain. I swallowed. I would like to think there were some things Barton and i didn't know about each other but i would be lying to myself if i thought that. We hadn't known each other long but he was the only person i had let get close enough to me in the longest time. Not long ago Loki tried to use that against me. Weakness. A voice murmured at the back of my brain. I didn't listen. Barton shook his head too as if he heard what i was thinking. Sometimes we are so in tune with each other and other times it felt like we didn't know each other at all. He pushed open the cafeteria door and held it open for me. I walked through turning my back toward him. Once upon a time i wouldn't even stand within ten feet of him, but that was before he saved me.

"Agent Romanoff, and Agent Barton are going to walk through those doors any minute now." i said gesturing toward the double doors across from me. Steve turned and looked back. He waited a couple seconds then turned back around to look at me.

"How do you know?" he asked raising an eyebrow. I pointed at my right ear spoon still in hand.

"I can hear them." I said putting another spoonful of cereal into my mouth.

"Right, super hearing." he paused. "What is that like?" he asked. I swallowed before answering.

"Well right now i can hear Coulson's heart beat and he's on a different level below us and i can also hear ants." i said.

"Ants?" he asked. I nodded.

"Watch come here." i stood up and walked over to the trash can where i dumped the rest of the contents of my bowl inside of it. Then i got down on one knee and pointed to the trail of ants crawling up the trash can. "Ants." i said a bit triumphantly.

"That's amazing." he said i got up and brushed off my pants even though there was nothing on them. i shrugged.

"It's bad at night. I can hear drilling. The sound is carried to me through at least 50 feet of concrete and earth." i shook my head. I could practically feel the pounding. He crossed his arms.

"Yeah i can see where that would be a problem." i heard Agent Barton stop right outside the door.

"They're here." She marched through the door with an air of confidence. Immediately i knew why they were here. Then with a slight movement of my hand i pushed the memories away. "Natasha." i said calmly. She didn't look surprised. I was guessing not a lot of things took her by surprise.

"Astella." she came to a stop in front of me. Agent Barton stood off of her left shoulder. She put her hands on her hips.

"Coulson wants to see you." she said evenly. I shook my head.