Outisde

I was excited. I rushed around my room showering and changing as quickly as i could. Today they had promised me that i could go outside. Fresh air. Sunlight. Other people who didn't know who i was and didn't think i was a threat. I was almost delirious with happiness. Coulson had promised and he seemed like someone who kept his promises. I just wish i had happier colors to put on. All this gray, dark blue, and black made me look like all the other agents around here. I chill ran up my spine. Would i have to walk around with the agents? They wouldn't want me running loose around New York. Of course. Of course they would have Agents surrounding me. I dropped down on my bed suddenly very un-happy and not in the least bit excited. Agent Romanoff would most certainly want to keep an eye on me. If someone was going to watch me it would be her. I sighed. I started to play with the collar of my jacket. I wasn't in any hurry anymore. It wouldn't be any fun with Natasha around. My first time outside in what.. Two weeks? Yeah. It was May 21st. Granted i was half dead and un-conscience for most of it, but it had still been a while since sunlight had touched my skin. I was pale before but this was just ridiculous. I was contemplating not going when the door to my room opened. I didn't look up.

"Ready to go?" a voice asked. Startled i looked up to see Steve standing in front of me. He looked a bit nervous. He had his hair pushed back and was wearing his signature white shirt, jeans and motorcycle jacket.

"What?" i asked standing.

"You wanted to look around New York right?" he asked. He looked confused as if he had walked into the wrong room.

"You're taking me?" i asked. He shrugged, the material of his jacket crinkling.

"Unless you want somebody.." i cut him off.

"No no. This is fine. Just.. Where's Coulson?" i asked cocking my head.

"He said he's sorry he can't make it." i nodded and started to put my jacket on over my tank top. Like the idiot i am i couldn't find the hole for my left arm. Steve walked over and helped me put it on. I could've sworn his hands lingered on my shoulders longer than they should have. He stepped in front of me. He was a head taller than i was. I was pretty tall but he was at least six foot something. "Ready?" he asked again. I nodded and as we rode the elevator up to the surface it dawned on me.

"You were frozen in ice for about 70 years right?" i asked. He looked down at me confused by my question.

"Yes." he said.

"And everything in New York is new to you." i continued.

"Well yes." he said. He wanted me to get to the point.

"Well why did they assign a 80 year old grandpa whose barely been around New York to show me around?" his laughter echoed in the small room. Then we were both laughing.

"I don't know." he chuckled his blue eyes looked like the sky.

We were walking around the streets of Times Square. Astella was looking at the hot dog in her hand like it was going to bit her. "I don't want it." she said looking at me her eyes wide in disgust and fear.

"Oh come on. Just eat it." i said making a show of biting into mine. She shivered and looked back down at the hot dog in her hands.

"Did you see that guy at the stand though!" she practically shouted. I laughed. He was a heavy-set man who had a little too much hair all over his body. The whole time he was making our order he wore a permanent scowl. Then practically shoved the food into our hands and told us to beat it. "His hair could be all over this!" she said dramatically gesturing to it.

"I'm sure he's a very clean man." i replied. She snorted.

"Clean nothing. If he was clean he would wear gloves and a hairnet on the job." i laughed again. I had never laughed so much with one person, the whole time i've been here. Sure a joke got to me every now and then but i would get to thinking and i would remember everything i wanted to forget. With Astella it was different. She was easy to be with. I didn't have to be anyone but myself around her. She reminded me of Peggy but in a good way. Good as in i didn't look at her and remember all the time i missed out with her. I looked to the future and saw all the time i had. "I'm not eating it." Astella said again shaking her head.