The Kiss

I heard a movement. Someone was walking quickly toward the door of the weight room. I straightened up. "What?" Barton asked confused. Steve burst through the doors. He looked so relieved when he saw me.

"Astella what are you..." He glanced at Barton then did a double take.

"Captain." He said crossing his arms. Suddenly I was uncomfortable. Steve got a hard look on his face.

"Barton." He replied. Steve glanced at me. I didn't know what else to do besides shrug and hope I didn't look guilty. Guilty? From doing what? I don't know.

"I'll leave you two alone." Clint said stiffly. He walked purposefully out of the room and the doors closed behind him quietly. Steve turned to me a weird expression on his face. I wanted so badly to reach inside his mind and pull out his feelings, but I had promised.

"What were you two doing in here?" He asked stepping towards me. Suddenly I forgot how to speak. I couldn't remember how my mouth worked. Why was I tripping over things to say? This was Steve.

"He was showing me some moves." I finally managed to spit out. The expression on his face made me turn red. "Oh no. No. No. No. Not like that." Oh god. I felt like throwing up. "Apparently I don't know how to properly punch... Anything." I explained. I'm sure my face was bright red though I don't know why. I don't know why I would have to explain myself to Steve. I brushed my hair out of my face but it fell back into place. Steve's face softened.

"Come here." He said motioning me to come closer. I slowly walked closer to him. "Fight me." He sounded just like Barton. I shook my head like I did before.

"I'm not going to fight you." I said giving him a weird look. Why did everyone want me to fight them?

"Come on. I won't even fight back. Hit me." He was wearing a stupid smirk on his face. I stepped closer to him. I wished I was a bit taller so I wouldn't have to look up so high. I'm 5'6, above average, but i still had to crane my neck slightly.

"I'm not hitting you." I said lowly. I don't know why I was trying to be quiet no one else was in the room.

"Come on." He said trying to tempt me. I shook my head. "You have no problem fighting Agent Romanoff." He told me.

"Well I don't really like her." I said.

"So you like me." I shrugged.

"Just hit me." With a roll of my eyes I balled my fist and punched him, not very hard but not lightly either, in the chest. It felt like my fist crumpled in on itself. I opened it and started shaking my hand out. It actually really hurt.

"Ow!" I said a look of shock on my face. He was smiling trying not to laugh.

"Told you. Ab's of steel." I said pushing him slightly.

"Try again." He told me.

"I don't want to hurt you." He laughed.

"It won't hurt. Trust me." I raised my eyebrows at him.

"A little too much self confidence there." He laughed again. "Well I would feel a bit better if you at least tried to fight back." I told him. Slowly he nodded. I prepare to attack and I see him do the same. I move first but he's faster. I throw my left arm out to punch him again. I brace for impact but he twists my arm behind my back. It didn't hurt and suddenly I was pinned against his chest. I looked up at him. I was trying not to breathe. I was afraid I might hyperventilate from being too close to him. He looked a bit surprised as if he couldn't figure out why I was so close to him. Then it changed.

I saw the intensity in his eyes and just knew. He was going to kiss me. It didn't take powers to figure that out. Then I was panicking. I've kissed boys before. I've had boyfriends, but not recently. About three years. With all the family drama guys seemed pointless. Plus they were all soo.. Immature. But Steve wasn't. He still had the common courtesy that was bored into him back in the 40's. He didn't see women as objects as most do now a days. All that combined with ice blue eyes and blonde beautiful hair made me weak. He leaned down. Did I want this? Yes. No. I don't know. He sensed my hesitation. "Steve." I whispered. He breathed out.

"Yes." He replied.

"My arm." Was all I could think of to say. He loosened his grip on my wrist and ran his hand up my arm resting it on my shoulder. I felt like he was going to push me away. We were still pressed up against each other. The air shifted and he backed up a little. Wait. "Steve." I breathed out. He looked a bit... I don't know. Instead of trying to figure it out I put my arms around his neck. I pushed myself up on tiptoe but ended up levitating myself slightly instead.

"W-what.." Steve stuttered. Instead of answering I kissed him. That's when I saw her. Peggy. Crystal clear. I couldn't see her, see her. I saw her in Steve's memories. I didn't even know I could do this. I hadn't had much physical contact with anyone, besides Natasha repeatedly punching me, much less kissed someone. It felt like I was there. I was Steve and I was seeing everything wonderful that he had thought of Peggy. I have to admit she was gorgeous. I was a bit jealous. Steve was really surprised at first. He's kissed a girl before. It's just been a while. It made me smile. Then the memories of Peggy were replaced. By me.

I'm pretty sure my brain rattled around in my head for a bit. It was confused. Knocking against the walls of my skull and bouncing back. He liked me? Then I saw it. Really saw it. How I was the only one who made him laugh now. I was able to make him smile even when he didn't want to. He admired my courage and strength. Though I can assure you I have none. He loved the way my hair fell and my cool confidence. His words not mine. His arms encircled my waist tightly. This was all happening in mere seconds. All these thoughts running around my brain at top speed. It hit me. Steve loved me.

I broke away. He was looking at me shocked. Blue eyes squinting a little confused. I unlocked my arms and he slowly let go of me. I was back on the ground but he kept his hands on my waist I had moved mine to his chest. I still couldn't breath and it felt like he couldn't either. I was glad the cameras were still down. That would have been. A bit embarrassing. We stepped away from each other unsure of what to do next. He had folded his arms over his chest and was staring at the ground thoughtfully. "Steve.." I started to say stepping toward him. He cut me off.

"I should.. I should go. Umm." He put his hands on his hips. He wasn't looking at me.

"Sorry." I said quietly. Why was I apologizing. He blinked and looked at me. Then he was in front of me his hand on my cheek.

"Don't say sorry." I thought he was going to kiss me again. Instead he lightly placed his lips on the top of my head. Then he simply. Walked away. I don't know how long I stood there. Seconds. Minutes. Hours. It seemed like forever. I allowed the cameras to switch back on. I bet the people watching me were a little confused as to why I was standing in an empty room. Coulson came to get me. He could tell right away I didn't want to talk. He simply walked me to my room and said goodnight.

I laid in bed for god knows how long. I was cold but unbearably warm. I kept tossing my covers off my body and then pulling them back on. Nothing felt right. I ended up pacing the room. I had taken a shower earlier. I turned the heat up so high it felt like it was burning through my skin. I got a good look at my arm for the first time. Some of the stars looked like they were turning a different shade. Blues, yellows, reds. I even found out that they glowed ever so slightly. I could see them easily in the dark and through my jacket sometimes. I rubbed my arms. I was cold again. I sat on the edge of my bed and put the quilt on my shoulders. What was I going to do? I really hoped it wouldn't be awkward between Steve and I now. He was the only one I really liked talking too. I hadn't seen Bruce since he told me what was going done with my powers and what not. I knew where he was though. Maybe I could talk to him. Something told me he didn't sleep much. He liked working. I stood up. That's when I felt it. A gut wrenching pain.

I doubled over clutching my stomach. I felt like throwing up. What the hell was happening? My vision blurred and I closed my eyes. I was hearing a loud white noise. Like static. Oh god. It was like when the container dropped on my house killing my family. I was breathing hard. Images flashed through my mind. Gasping I fell on my back and opened my eyes. The pain was gone. I could see again. I stared at the ceiling trying to catch my breath. They're coming.