[38]

Cameron's POV

"WHAT?" Lexie yells.

I wince. "Yeah. We're in a bit of a pickle, aren't we?"

"No shit" she shoots at me. "How the hell am I supposed to get home now? You definitely don't have enough fuel to get us all the way to my house and then yours."

"That sucks" I suck on my teeth again, "because my dad is expecting me to be home in a couple of minutes."

"This is great" she groans, throwing her head back to lean it against her seat, "not only have I been annoyed by a girl, again, I also have no way to get home because my friend doesn't have fuel."

"How about this" I suggest, turning back around in the other direction, "why don't we just go to my house for a minute. I can get money for gas. Plus I currently have enough to get us there and back."

"I don't know..."

"Come on" I nudge her arm with mine playfully, "it'll be fun, I'll even let you eat from my secret candy stash while I get the money."

"Fine" she agrees. It only took fake food, of course.

***

"It's very tall" Lexie comments, staring up at my house from the passenger seat of the car.

"No it's not" I laugh, "it's normal sized."

"No it isn't" she argues, opening the door and climbing out of the vehicle, "the roof is taller then mine."

"Well then yours must be tiny, because my house is literally the same size as almost every house in this town."

"I don't believe you" she shakes her, waiting for me to lock the car before walking up the gravel drive way.

I follow behind her, trying my best to remember if I left anything embarrassing laying around in my room. Not that we're going to my room, but just in case. I think I left a couple of socks laying on my bed, but those are easy to hide; just throw them underneath.

I fish my house keys out of my pocket. "You're just pissed that your house is probably really short. Like you."

She slaps me on the arm and I wince, moving away from her. "Jerk" she pouts at me.

"Aw" I laugh, ruffling her hair, "don't be embarrassed by your height. Learn to embrace it, like I have."

She swats my hands away from her head. "That's nice coming from someone who's never not been able to reach the top shelf in a grocery store, or needed help reaching the kitchen cupboard."

"True" I nod, "but being tall isn't all sunshine and roses, munchkin. There's a lot of things I can't do that you can."

She scoffs, propping her hand on her hip. "Like what?" She narrows her eyes at me.

"You can walk through a small door without banging your head" I point out, "and you never have to worry about hitting your head on top of the car roof."

"Touché."

"Plus", I add, "I can't hug some people without their head receiving it."

The door flings open before Lexie can respond and I turn slowly, coming face to face with my furious looking father. Shit.

His face is pissed but when he notices that I'm not alone, and Lexie is standing next to me, it turns blank. "Hi son" he spits at me, "who's this?"

"I'm Lexie" Lexie smiles, sticking her hand out.

My dad looks shocked and I'm not surprised. With my sorry excuse for a dad, I've never really brought a girl home with me before. He probably thought I was secretly gay or something....