[40]

Cameron's POV

"What are you making?" Lexie asks quietly from her seat on the couch next to me.

"I'm making whatever the hell I feel like making, young lady" my grandmother's voice snaps from the kitchen.

My dad continues to glare from the couch opposite us, mainly directing it in Lexie's direction.

I grab her hand and squeeze it to remind her that not everyone in this house currently hates her guts. Amyone looking in at the moment would think we were dating or something.

My dad's eyes follow my hand with a scowl before they snap to look in her direction. "How fucking dare you" he says in a low voice.

"Excuse me?"

"You come into my house with my only son on mission to get gas money. After my son convinces me that the both of you are just friends, I let him out of the kindness of my heart-"

"Kindness of my heart?" Lexie cuts him off in disbelief.

I squeeze her hand as a warning. "Munchkin. Don't say another word."

She pulls her hand out of mine quickly, turning to send me a glare. "No. I won't shut up."

I sigh. When Lexie's set her mind on something, nothing can change it.

"What the hell are you talking about?" My dad glares, looking between the two of us, "don't tell me the idiot told you something he wasn't supposed to?"

"Oh, he told me plenty" Lexie narrows her eyes at him, "and frankly, I can't understand for the life of me why his ass is still here."

I poke her softly. "Don't talk about my ass,"

She ignores me and as does my father, as he continues to send daggers in her direction. His expression is turning more into his usual one, opposed to his let's-act-nice-we-have-guests one.

He finally opens his mouth. "I don't know what the hell my son told you, but he sure as he-"

"Oh, he told me everything", Lexie interrupts him, "and let me tell you that you won't be winning the father of the year award anytime soon."

Well, not everything.

"What exactly did he say?" My dad narrows his eyes.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe the fact that everyday of his life you've been trying to convince him and yourself that his mother's death was his fault? Newsflash: It wasn't anyones fault."

My dad's face starts to turn a shade of red that I'm all too familiar with by now. "Don't you dare talk about my wife?"

"Why not?" Lexie smirks, "it's a free country, ain't it?"

I don't know when Lexie started to talk with a southern drawl, but it's sexy as fuck.

Out of nowhere my dad lunges over the coffee table at Lexie. I push her out of the way quickly, making him face plant on the seat between us instead. Before he can react I pull my arm back, punching him in the face with as much strength as I can muster.

"Don't even fucking think about touching her" I spit venomously at him, "not now, not fucking ever."

"HOW DARE YOU BOY!" my dad starts to spring up but I punch him in the face again before he can.

He falls back onto the coffee table and I quickly stand up, grabbing a shocked Lexie's hand.

"I'll be back later" I smile at his shocked and beat up face, "don't bother waiting up."