Chapter 1

"Mom!" I yell, frustrated. I couldn't be late again. Tuesday's meant school, which meant that I would be late for my 1:00 class. Time passed slower than what I thought possible as I stared at the clock. "I'm going to be late again!" The clacking of her shoes caused me to turn my head in that direction she came from. I couldn't stand being late. Being late meant causing attention to myself. There were 5 other kids n the class, but still!

"Cassia, calm down, you'll get there in time," my mom says to me, walking into the kitchen past me, pushing her long hair off of her shoulders. Why Cassia? Why couldn't it be a normal name, a name I would find on a key chain? What about Cassie? That's what my friends call me. I just watch her, wondering why she didn't turn to the right, going straight to the garage. My mom starts rummaging through the fridge, and I just point to the clock on the microwave.

"Mom, please look at the time." She looks up, and her eyes get wide. I nod my head, even though I know that she isn't paying attention to me. She turns around, grabbing my arm and pulling me towards the garage. I put my hand to my head, just to make sure that my beanie doesn't fall off of my head. It was not the day to not wear a beanie, my hair wouldn't make it easy for me. I already had the keys in my pocket, even though I would be giving them to my mother when she sat in the driver's seat.

"Oh gosh! Why didn't you tell me, Cassia!" she says as she wobbles over to the driver's side of our van. She let go of my arm to do so, and that allowed me to be able to press a button, and open the garage. If not, we – as in my mom – would've rammed into and broken the garage door. That would've been a great experience to go through.  "You knew you needed to be at Chemistry at one o'clock." I rolled my eyes.

"Yes mom, I did know that. But I'm not the one who lost track of time." I get out my phone, texting my brother to turn on the house alarm and close the garage. "I tried telling you that it was time to go." At this point, it seemed as if I couldn't get anything in my mother's head, just like she couldn't get anything into mine. Somehow I start to see the resemblance between my mother and I, looks and personality wise. This is not my fault though! I look at the floor, seeing my text book and folder in between my feet, and groan.

"What, did you forget something?" my mom asks panicking. We're too far to turn back, making it pointless for her to ask. But it wasn't the problem. I point to my shoes, and she looks at them. "What about them?"

"These are the too broken-in purple shoes! I accidentally got them instead of the good purple shoes!" I'm disappointed now. I had a lot of shoes, and about ¾ of them are converse. I have 2 pairs of purple converse because I ruined my first pair in the mountains, so my dad bought me new ones. My bad pair... The soles were coming out of the bottom of the shoe, making this squeaky noise whenever I took a step. If I were to wear the bad pair, I would most likely trip and fall on my face.

"It's no big deal honey," my mom said, as if was the most simple thing in the world. I rolled my eyes, and looked at the clock. It read 12:55, and I shook my head. I was going to be a good 20 minutes late. Great.

I looked at my watch. It was 1:22 when I get out of the van. I don't see anyone around, or I don't notice them anyway, as my mom ran over to my side of the van. She grabs my cheeks as I get the last thing I need for class. I try to budge away from her hold, but it's too firm, and I know that she can see my annoyance in my eyes. "Mom, I have to go!"

"Just make sure to explain to your teacher that it wasn't your fault." I nod my head. I rip my head from her grip just in time. "And don't fall!"

"Got it, mom," I say, trying to go to class. I start walking fast. "Don't be clumsy, and tell her that it's your fault." I barely hear my mom's last words as I walked on the ramp to the door. I give her thumbs up, to say that I heard her, even though I didn't. It had to be something about having a good day.

"Thanks," I say. My sub conscious takes notice that the door had been open before I got there. I ran inside the building, and I ran straight to my Chemistry class. And then my shoes got in the way, and I did the thing that my mom told me not to do. I tripped and fell on my face right in front of the door. I'm 99% sure that they saw the side of my head 3 seconds before it fell to the floor.

No one opened the door either, thank god. It saved me from being 100% humiliated. 

I started to get up, and then felt two hands on my right arm, one on my upper arm, and one under my elbow, pulling me up. They kept my feet secure on the ground. I spun around, confused that I had gotten up so. I see a guy with a small smile, looking down at me, hands in his pockets, rocking on the balls of his feet. Thank you, Mr. or Ms. Sub conscious, for noticing that this was the boy that also held the door for me earlier.

"You're the kid that held the door open, right?" I asked, not understanding how the words were coming out of my mouth. The boy just nods his head.

"Y-Yeah, I –" I didn't have time to make small talk with him. I put a hand on his shoulder, not having to get up on my tip toes to do so, and look him in the eyes.

"Thanks," I say before turning away from him and opening the door, letting it close on its own. "I swear it wasn't my fault!" I said before I heard the shutting of the door.

A/N: So this is my story for the NaNoWriMo13 contest! I had the idea, and I thought it would be fun! But other than that, I hope you enjoy the book! :D

:D Indie