14. Distractions

I walked around my room on Friday evening. I was literally walking in circles. Eli was gone for the weekend. I asked him where he was going, and I SWEAR I wasn’t being clingy at all. My curiosity just got the best of me. He didn’t tell me, just that he was going to be hanging out with some friends for a couple of days. It was very suspicious of him, and I think he realized that I was thinking that, because he immediately left before I could ask any more questions.

“You’re so sad!” I hear. I turn around and see Ethan looking at me with a look that says “pity”. “Seriously, you’re not even in a relationship with this guy, and when he leaves you have absolutely nothing to do.” I pout at my older brother.

“I’m not pathetic, Ethan, just really bored. There’s absolutely nothing to do!” Ethan shook his head at me, and then motioned with his head for me to follow him as he walked away from my room. “Where are you going?”

“Upstairs,” he said simply. “And you’re coming with me. You can finally show me why you like to watch all of those Korean shows and movies on Netflix.” I immediately got a little happier. Ethan was always teasing me about watching those shows, considering I didn’t know Korean. I had recently gotten into watching Koreans shows and movies; I don’t know why though, I just really liked them. But Ethan didn’t understand.

“Really?” I asked excitedly. I pass him, quickly running up the stairs and turning on the TV. “I know which one I want you to watch first. I know for a fact that you will love it, I swear!”

The first movie I had him watch was an action movie. I had blood and fighting, and all that good stuff, so I knew he would like it. I didn’t really give him time to say anything about it before I started another movie. Love Impossible was more on the romance side, but it was really funny, and I had already watched it three times before. The third was about a mafia boss marrying and prosecutor. Oh, that one was exceptionally funny!

“I must say,” Ethan started as we walked back downstairs. “I can see why you like Korean movies so much. They’re much better than the American movies after you’ve watched like five hundred in a row.” I looked at the clock as we passed it in the kitchen and saw that it was past 2 am. I followed Ethan to his room, and he turned on his Xbox. “Here,” he said, giving me a controller. He chose Call of Duty, and I glared at him. He knew that I wasn’t good at this game.

“I told you they were! You just needed a push.” I happily played the game, knowing that I was right and my 18 year old brother was wrong.

“More like I needed to distract you from killing yourself out of boredom,” Ethan cackled out. I shook my head at him as I ran around mindlessly for a while. “So, what’s going on between you two anyway?” I raised an eyebrow, wondering how I didn’t see this coming. “I mean, for prom dates from two different schools, you guys have been spending a lot of time together.”

“It’s no big deal, Ethan, we’re just hanging out.” He laughs, shaking his head at me. Even as I said it, I knew that wasn’t the complete truth. But I couldn’t say anything more, as Eli and I never actually talk about that. At all.

“Cassie, I’m a guy,” Ethan tells me obviously, and I snort. He ignores it and continues. “If you two were just hanging out to him, he would’ve made you feel like another one of his guy friends. Do you feel like one of his guy friends, Cassie?” It was a rhetorical question, but I still shook my head. “And guys aren’t as touchy with their friends. He plays with your hair way too much, and also puts his hand on your back. I don’t like it,” Ethan told me. I rolled my eyes as I started to see the older brother of my big brother come out.

“Ethan, I’m not six. Don’t go there,” I say, not looking at him. Ethan clicks his tongue on the roof of his mouth.

“I’m just saying, Cassia!” he laughs out, and I laugh too. Ethan and I never had to talk about… This kind of thing before. Not once. So now, it’s kind of weird to have him go all protective on me. Honestly, I would rather he not at all, because he knows that I can take care of myself. “When a guy acts like that towards a girl,” he starts, but I cover my ears.

“I don’t want to hear! I don’t want to know! I want to be in denial about the whole thing! Can I just have that, please?” I say, not wanting to hear anything that my brother has to say about guys acting differently towards girls they like. I turn towards Ethan and see that he’s looking at me with a smirk on his face. I roll my eyes as he shakes his head, and I take away my hands from my ears.

“Fine, but you’re totally going to die in this game,” he said laughing as he stabbed my character in the back. I groaned, feeling annoyed even quicker than usual as my brother killed me over and over again.

You would think that after an hour of playing that with Ethan, I would’ve gone to bed. But no! I didn’t. I popped some popcorn, made a big glass of milk, and went back upstairs. I watched so many movies I lost track. All I know is that I stayed up all night. “How?” you may ask? Well, after I downed the milk, I made some hot chocolate, and put some Nutella on some hot dog buns, because mom hadn’t gone to the store to get more bread. Then I made some green tea, and had a bagel. And then I made chai tea and just took to tub of Nutella upstairs with me. My mom and dad came up around 10 Saturday morning, and saw me gripping onto my Tigger mug I bought from Disney. I had been watching the last bit of a new Korean movie, and I was very nervous because there was a chance that the girl and guy weren’t going to be able to be together. But I blew out a sigh of relief as their relationship was approved by everyone. It was a very moving story really.

My parent looked at each other before looking at me again with worry in their eyes. “We need to get you out of the house.”