11. The Third Wheel at the Zoo

I blinked, looking at whiteness. Then I realize that I was still in my room, and I was facing a wall. I dug my head into my soft pillow, before closing my eyes again. But something was different. I opened my eyes, thinking that there was a weird presence I felt that wasn’t supposed to be there. I looked down, and saw a hand resting on my stomach that was connected to a really hairy arm. My eyes widened, and I felt heavy breathing on my neck. I turned my head slightly to see that Eli’s eyes were closed.

“No, no, no, no, no!” I kept muttering. “Get off!” I yelled, turning around and forcefully pushing him off of the bed. I should’ve felt bad, considering that my floor was wood. The feel of him falling woke him up as I saw his eyes shoot open before hitting the ground and groaning.

“What the hell, Cassia?” he exclaimed, jumping up quickly. I glared at him, as if he had room to talk!

“I should be asking you the same thing! Who said you could sleep in my bed? Huh? No one, so why are you in it? With me?!” He breathes in and out angrily, shaking his head as he put both of his hands on the edge of my bed. I crossed my arms over my chest, and noticed I was still in my sweats.

“You fell asleep while you were crying in my arms, Cassia! So, when your mom came in after she heard you yelling, she saw you and told me that I could just put you in the bed,” he explained. But that didn’t explain crap to me.

“How is that, at all, answering my question, Eli!” I yelled, annoyed.

“I was about to leave after I put the covers over you, but you grabbed onto my arm.” I scoffed, knowing that there was no way I actually did that. “I’m serious here; you think I would be here still if I wasn’t? You kept a grip on my arm, saying my name. So, I thought that I would just sit on the bed until your grip loosened, and then leave,” Eli rubs the back of his neck. “But obviously it didn’t loosen for a long time.” I look at him skeptically. “God, Cassie, the door was even left open the whole time.” I look and see that it was open.

“Well then, thank you for being a creep,” I say, and he laughs.

“I didn’t want that to happen, Cass! I came to apologize,” I shake my head. “And secondly, you shouldn’t be mad at me because I didn’t leave you alone; you did. I told you I was going to be late, not that I couldn’t make it!”

“Thanks for filling me in, Eli, now you can nicely leave me alone for forever.” I don’t look at him, but I can tell that he’s seething with anger.

“I’m not leaving that easily, Cass! No matter what, I will get you to trust me again; I will make it up to you,” I looked at him sharply at his words.

“Didn’t you hear me when I was crying a beach?! I do trust you, no matter what, I can’t not trust you!” I shake my head in annoyance. “God, I’m so stupid. Just leave!” Eli grabs my face between his hands, looking at me determined.

“No way, Cass! You think I’m going to give up that quickly? Just call me a coward!” I purse my lips at him, and he rubs my face with his thumbs. “I’m going to make this better, I swear to it. Just tell me what you want. I don’t care; all I know is that I’m not giving up.” He closes his eyes, curling his fingers as he scrunched his face up in, what I think is, a mixture of anger and frustration. And then he looks me in the eye, and I can easily see sadness in his. “I am… So, extremely sorry, Cass, but I will make it better,” Eli declares before letting go of my face and walking out of my house.

That was last Tuesday, and it had been a week. I was sitting on the couch in my living room on Saturday, wishing that nothing had ever happened. Eli and I were kind of weird together now. It wasn’t as easy to be with him, knowing that the tension of… Everything was still in the air around us. He tried really hard though, I had to give him that; he tried hard to make it better. And he would always ask me if I had anything in mind.