18. We Don't Look That Old to be Parents!

“Zoe, honey, I need you to keep Rory on the floor in the living room all right?” I asked the 5 year old slowly. I knew it was wrong to ask her to make sure this little 1 and a half year old didn’t move, but Levi kept running around when I needed to feed them, yelling that he wasn’t hungry. I couldn’t call for help because Annie was busy, Ethan was at work, and mom just happened to have to run errands for, like, 5 hours.

“Ok, Cee, I will make sure,” Zoe said with wide eyes. I sighed, knowing I could trust her with that one simple task. I got off of my knees, rubbing them as I looked around for Levi. I barely saw him run from Ethan’s room to the dining room. I blew an air out before going after him.

So, you have already met Levi. Zoe is his older sister, also the oldest of the three. She was the cutest little girl you would ever meet. She had shoulder length hair with bangs that went straight down, and had the big, brown eyes. She was giggly, nice, and always excited to do something. But she always got into stuff. You could be taking some dishes out of the dishwasher, with her in the kitchen, and you would turn to see that she had found a bag of something sweet and had already eaten half of it.

I’ll tell you about Rory real quick, I just have to catch this little boy, Levi.

I swear he was way too fast for his age, and since he was so small he could get through small places, like under the table, a lot easier than I could. He would run from room to room, going under tables, over chairs, and slamming so many doors. I rubbed my face as I heard a door open and close. I didn’t think too much of it, or of the doorbell that rung once, as I started chasing Levi again. I went into my parent’s room after Levi, and didn’t hear the door open. I trapped Levi in the bathroom, and held him securely in my arms as I walked out.

“Uh, oh!” I hear, and it feels like all of the blood in my body was drained out. That, I knew, was Zoe’s voice, and the tone clearly said, “I didn’t mean to, but I did something wrong.” I walked in, and saw Eli holding Rory, whose clothes were all white now. He turned his head, and looked at me with wide eyes. I did the same to him.

“What are you doing here?!” I half yelled, wishing he would’ve called. You know what? He probably did, knowing him, and I missed it because I didn’t have my phone while I was running.

“There are three of them?!” Eli asked me in the same tone as mine. I rubbed my face, and put Levi down. He immediately went to Eli, wrapping his arms around his legs and smiling up at him. I ignored his question as he ignored mine, turning all of my attention to Zoe. She was holding a flour bag… That was upside down.

“Zoe,” I asked slowly, “what happened?” I didn’t want her to think she was in trouble, because she wasn’t, and I knew she would start crying if she did. Zoe looked down at the ground sadly.

“Well, I thought that Rory wanted cookies, because she did the sign at me that she wanted some like she does to mommy.” I saw Eli hold Rory out from his body, looking at her.

“It’s a girl?” I waved my hand at him, telling him to shut up for a second.

“But I couldn’t find any cookies, so I thought that I could start making some and you could put them in the oven.” Zoe looks at me and pouts. “I guess I was holding it too tight, because when I brought it over Rory, all of it fell out of the bottom.” She gives me that faces that says “I don’t even know how it happened!”

I looked at Eli, who was holding a floured baby, and he smiles at me. “You could’ve told me that there were three of them. I wouldn’t have come today if I knew,” he says truthfully. Zoe looks up at him skeptically, as she does with everyone she doesn’t know.

“Who are you?” she asks, suspicious of him. I laugh, shaking my head as I take Rory from Eli, getting more clothes for her to wear after I wash her.