9. That Escalated Quickly

I just can't win! I really can't! Here I am, trying very hard to beat this guy up so that I can get more money, and I either get stopped by the cops, or killed! And my gun is gone! I restart the game again, knowing that I wouldn't be able to beat the mission if I was without a gun. I tried one more time, only to get stopped by a police car. I really wanted to throw something, I really did, but everything in Ethan's room was worth something, or important, unlike the pointless stuff in my room.

Getting up, I decided that I needed to pee and a break from Grand Theft Auto. I turned and saw Eli standing there. I held my heart as he scared the crap out of me. "God, Eli!" I exclaim loudly. "Didn't I tell you not to pop up without saying anything? You could've been some psycho, rapist, serial killer!" I waited for a response, but I got nothing.

I looked into Eli's face, and he was staring at me, but not looking at me. Like, he wasn't here with me, totally spaced out. I waved my hand in front of his face. "Eli? Eli, what's wrong?" I asked loudly, as if I was talking to an alien. He wouldn't move, and it was really scaring me. I patted his face a couple of times, but it didn't help. I shook him, but to no avail. I swear, if I had to do something else... Heck no, not even going to think about that.

"Eli!" I screamed in his face. "Eli, please say something!" His eyes moved, and he pointed to the screen. "The game? Grand Theft Auto? Yeah, I play! So what?"

"Grand... Theft Auto?" Eli said in a tone that was confused. "Grand Theft Auto."

"Yes, Grand Theft Auto," I say quickly, getting annoyed with this. "I play Grand Theft Auto." It was as if that was the sentence he needed to hear. His eyes darted back to me, and then he blinked. "Oh, thank god!" I exclaimed, letting go of his shoulders, and putting my hands on my knees. "I thought I lost my prom date for a moment there!" I joked, sitting back in the seat and taking a controller.

"What happened?" Eli asked.

"You spaced out, that's what happened," I replied, only looking at the screen.

"Well, I know why!" he exclaimed, clapping his hands. "You're the first girl I've seen to play Grand Theft Auto; even like it!"

"Who wouldn't like it? You can steal good looking cars, run over people, and push hard on the gas to drive away from the police. What's there not to like?" I asked, getting out of the car I was in because I had seen a better looking car.

"What are you doing here anyway?"

"Well, isn't it obvious?" he asked me rhetorically. I shook my head quickly, running over a guy. "I figured you would be bored, so I came to entertain you." I scoffed.

"You really shouldn't pop up unannounced, Eli," I said, not looking at him. "I could've been busy with company."

"Oh, come on, Cass," he says laughing. "We all know that, if it wasn't for me, you would be bored on the weekends." I stopped the car I was driving immediately as his words registered in my mind. I looked at him sharply.

"Eli, I'll have you know that you're not the center of my life," I tell him truthfully. Eli just blinks at my words. "I had a life before you asked me to prom. I have friends, and had them before you came along." Eli starts to laugh, pretending, obviously, as if I had said something hilarious. I looked at him, confused.

"Thanks, Cass," he says, holding his stomach. "I really needed a laugh." I looked at him, surprised. "We all know that I give you all the entertainment." I roll my eyes and shake my head.

"No, you don't, Eli," I tell him, returning my attention to the game at hand. "Now, if you would please, jump off of the high pedestal you think you're on, that would be great," I say sarcastically.