30. She's Definitely Not Nice

“Please.” Sofie was so set on this outfit it was ridiculous.

“This is ridiculous!”

“You look good,” Sofie persisted. I shook my head, looking down at the outfit. “And I know my little brother will be happy with my decision.” I was currently in the skirt that I had accidentally brought. I had on a gray crewneck t-shirt, and the skirt was a high waisted one, so it went higher than my belly button. I had a brown belt wrapped around the top, and I was holding a black Arizona cropped cardigan. I have to admit, it looked good on me, but because the skirt was so high, it stopped mid-thigh.

I was not going to wear this outfit, but Sofie had heard that I was going back to school with Eli, and she rummaged through my bag last night, saying that I had to look cute. She woke me up at 6 so that we could get everything ready in time.

“What do you mean in time? It’s not like –” I stopped mid-sentence, and looked at Sofie scared. She was going to have a ball with me. She put me in the outfit immediately after I took a shower.

“But I don’t want to,” I pouted. Sofie looked at me, and I started to do as I was told, not wanting to piss her off. After I just looked in the mirror, skeptical. I would say that I looked a lot less on the home-schooled side of town. Before I could protest against this even more, Sofie dragged me back to the bathroom. My hair was still damp, so she was able to put some conditioner in my hair to make it wavy. And I must say, my hair has never looked this good in my life. I can’t even explain it; it was just styled perfectly, and really curly on the ends.

“And you're ready,” Sofie says proudly as she looks over her finished project. She turns me around by the shoulders and starts to push me down the stairs. “Time to let Eli see you.” Eli? Eli! What would he think of this whole charade?

“No, no, no, no, no. He can’t. He won’t. Sofie, wait! Please, please, please, please, please!” I was near getting on my hands and knees to beg her not to make me do this, but it was too late. I was forced into the kitchen, all stumble and clumsy in all, and I kept my head down as I saw my curls bounce around my face.

I looked up slowly, just in time to see Eli look at me and start to choke on his cereal. “No. No, no, no, no, no.” Eli shakes his head, getting out of his seat, and trying to push me back to the stairs. “You better go change. Change your hair, your shirt, this stupid cardigan. And for god’s sake change the skirt!” Sofie comes up and blocks my path.

“She can’t. It’s too late, and you would be late for school if she eats any later.” I look at Eli’s face, and it reddens like a ripe tomato.

“I don’t care!” he yells, and then he points to me. “This shin dig will attract attention from the guys to her, and I don’t want that! Go change right now, Cass.” I looked between the two, scared at which side to take. They were both glaring at each other.

“What?” Sofie asked with a smirk on her face. “Afraid someone will catch her attention and she’ll leave you?” my eyes widened.

“I w-wouldn’t… That-that wouldn’t…” my stuttering is stopped by Eli shoving his jacket that I used the other day in my hands.

“Put that on, and don’t take it off. I’ll pick you up some breakfast on the way.” Eli just glares at Sofie as he grabs my hand. I barely had time to grab my bag on the way out, and good thing I left all of my books in the car.

I had a Caramel Apple Spice in my hand from Starbucks’ in my right hand as Eli held my other. Right when we stepped out of the car, my earing was ruined by all of the voices talking so loudly in the parking lot. As we got closer to everyone, they stopped and stared at us, and I couldn’t help but start to bring my hand up. Eli obviously stopped it mid-stride. The jacket was still on my shoulders, but it was opened because I got really hot.