31. 100% of Broken Pieces

“Hey,” he said lowly, whispering way too close to my ear. He smoothly snaked his arms around my waist and tightened his grip on me. “What are you doing, babe?” I shook my head, grinning nonetheless.

“Eli, you shouldn’t do that. Your mom could come in at any time,” I say, putting my hands on top of his and trying to push them away. Too bad he was stronger than; my attempts didn’t do diddly squat. “Eli.”

“What, Cass?” he chuckles in my ear before kissing my cheek softly. “It’s not like she thinks that we’re only friends. Everyone thinks we should be together. And I know for a fact that,” Eli spins me around to face him, and flicks my nose, “wouldn’t mind the idea of us.” I shake my head and he cups my cheeks with his hands, keeping my face secure. “I wouldn’t mind that either, you know.” My eyes widen, and then close as I realize that Eli’s leaning closer and closer to my face. Nothing bad could happen; nothing was going to ruin my first kiss again.

“Hey, Cass!” The next thing I heard after Eli’s surprising voice was a loud crash. I looked down, horrified to see the plate that I was cleaning was now broken into a multiple pieces. Before thinking, I bent down to grab a piece. “Don’t do that!” Eli yelled at me when he saw me go for the broken glass, but it was too late. I hissed in pain as I started to see red blood slowly ooze out of my pointer finger.

Eli immediately grabbed my hand in his, turning on the water and forcing my finger under the water. I hissed once more as I felt my finger start to sting, but Eli kept his arm stiff, not wanting me to move my arm away. Eventually, the stinging faded away, and Eli got a paper towel and dried my finger. He held it in his fist and dragged me around the kitchen until he found the band aids. He pulled one out quickly, and opened the package with his teeth.

“All better?” he asked, throwing away the towel and used band aid in the garbage. I found the broom, and started to sweep up the glass, nodding my head as I refused to look at him. I had gotten a little, uh… Lost in my thoughts as I was washing the dishes. It was Friday, and I didn’t know how I let my mind drift so far. I started to feel awful; I had ruined one of their plates. “What were you thinking about to make you surprised enough to drop a plate, anyway?” Eli asked curiously.

“Uh,” I started, stopping what I was doing to think of an excuse. I couldn’t come up with anything.

“You had to be pretty out of it to not hear me coming. Especially since you dropped the plate. Which, by the way, don’t feel bad about it; it was an old plate anyway.”

I watched the floor, and saw Eli’s feet stop right in front of mine. He put his hands on my cheeks and forced me to look up at him. “What was going through that pretty little head of yours, hmm?” I immediately blushed as the daydream came back into my head. “Was it a day dream?” I chew on my cheek, not looking at him. “About a boy?” he asks, and I can hear the smirk in his voice. The next thing I know, I was wrapped up in my favorite type of hug: a Eli hug. “Maybe about a certain boy in this room?” I shook my head.

“Y-you’re… You’re getting a-ahead of yourself,” I start to stutter. I feel Eli’s chest vibrate as he laughs out loud.

“You don’t have to admit it. I do the same, but I wouldn’t tell you that in a complete sentence of course.” I look up at him, and he smirks down at me. “The last thing I want to do is embarrass you, Cass,” he says sincerely, looking deep into my eyes, as if he was trying to find something that I was possibly hiding.

“I’m sorry about the plate,” I say, trying to change the subject. Eli shakes his head before grabbing the broom. He sweeps the last bit of the glass into the dustpan and throws it away.

“Grab that dip on the counter,” Eli orders me. I turn around, confused, but see the dip he was talking about. Eli comes back, chips in his hand, and grabs my hand, dragging me downstairs. He lets go when we are in the middle of his basement, and lies down on his back on the floor. I look at him quizzically, and he pats the spot beside him. I shrug my shoulders, getting down on my back as the side of my head taps on the side of Eli’s.

“You shouldn’t be here,” I say after a moment of silence. Eli opens the chips, and motions for me to give him the dip.

“What do you mean? I’m happy right where I am right now,” he says contentedly. I look sideways at him. “I brought you here,” Eli tells me, looking at me sideways. He smiles, “I’m not going to leave you alone on a Friday to waste your time in a bedroom.”

“But –” I start, but Eli shakes his head, and cuts me off.

“Cass, I’m going to stay by your side, no matter what. Even after today. I’ll always be on your side.” I look at him, thinking about all of the possibilities that could make it possible for him to like me back. I couldn’t think of one reason why he should, to be honest. I’m… I’m stubborn, and I eat a lot, and I’m a couch potato, and I’m not always easy to be around… But what I want to know is…

Why?”

Eli smiles at me and it made me feel like someone was trying to rip my heart out and give it to him to keep forever and ever! It was a terrible feeling, and if this is what “falling in love” was I didn’t want to. I scoffed internally as I thought that this could possibly be me falling in love. I was only 16; I barely even knew what that was. I definitely didn’t know what to compare it to. It hurts, this feeling, and it’s really scary. I mean, if you give them all of your attention, you start to forget about the bad stuff in your life. They’ll be the first one you want to talk to in the morning, and the last one at night. And you get so used to them making you happy, and you're content with that. But you don’t realize how easy it would be for them to leave and take that happiness with them.

I don’t want that… I don’t think. I don’t think I would be able to handle it.

“Why?” I whispered again. I heard Eli shift so that his body was completely facing me better than I saw it. I felt it when Eli let his arm across my stomach and cupped his hand to be able to pull my body on my side. He pulled me closer, and I just realized the chips and dip weren’t in between us as my legs hit his; there was barely any space in between us as he kissed my forehead softly.

I closed my eyes, wanting to break down, because I knew it. There was now a 95% chance that Eli felt the same way about me as I did for him. He let his lips linger, and when he backed up, he pulls my head into his chest.

97%.

“Because, Cassia,” he said quietly. “You are now the most important thing to me.” 99%. “Even before hugs.”

100%.

A/N: AWWWWW! Isn't that just adorable! Tell me what you think... Of this chapter, of the last chapter, as the book as a whole, of your day. Anything, really! Haha! But I'm right on track now! Yay! :D

Vote!

Comment!

Share!

Fan!

And have a good day! :D