26. You're Really Abandoning Me?

So if you’re wondering how the “Adam, Annie, and Eli getting to know each other” went, it went so well Annie and I left the house for 3 hours.

Yeah, it’s really depressing how similar Eli and Adam are. They started talking real simply at first, and Annie and I would try to get in the conversation and contribute to it, but at some point Eli just had to mention that he was on the soccer team, and that blew up in my face. They literally sat there, talking about every single sport that they liked, and had, like, 30 minute discussions on them. Annie and I sat there for the first hour, and then threw up our hands and left. I’m almost certain that they didn’t even realize we left.

We went to a lot of stores, and I bought a new outfit. Annie actually put it together, saying that, when I put it on, it looked absolutely adorable. Apparently I just had to get it. She said that I should wear it when I was hanging outside of the house with Eli, but I just shook my head. Eventually, the boys texted Annie and me, telling us that we could come back home.

“Well, now you’re all in the clear with my family.” I was talking to Eli the next week, on Saturday. “And you didn’t even drop a baby,” I laugh, looking up to see my brother walking past me to the front door. Now, this wouldn’t have been weird, had it not been for the duffle bag he was carrying. “Eli, I have to go.”

“Oh, Cassia,” my mom said, coming up to me with her sunglasses pushed to the top of her head. “Make sure the house doesn’t burn down, and nothing gets stolen alright?” I look at my mother with wide eyes.

“Mom, what are you talking about?” I see my dad come up behind her, grabbing their huge suit case.

“And don’t forget to let out Jack three times a day, ok?” I roll my eyes as all of them look at me pointedly.

“I forgot that one time!” I defend myself. “What are you guys doing anyways? Why do you have bags and suit cases?”

“Oh, we’re going away for a quick vacation,” my mother says simply, as if I should’ve already known this.

“Why didn’t you tell me? I’m not even ready!” Dad and Ethan look at each other nervously.

“Because you’re not going,” mom says. “You still have school, and you need to finish that.”

“Really? If I told Mrs. Brackin that I was going on vacation, I could’ve sent her my homework by email or something! What am I supposed to do while you guys are gone?” They all look around the house, as if it was obvious.

“Look after the house of course.” My jaw dropped.

“What about Annie?”

“They're going too,” my dad adds in. How could they just leave me while they went on vacation? This is wrong, and totally unfair!

“Wait, so everybody is going on a vacation, except for me?” I asked slowly. They all nodded. “What about your jobs?”

“We asked for a week off?”

“And I can’t ask for a day off from school?! You're really going to abandon me without a second thought?”

“Oh, stop getting so worked up, Cassia,” mom says, as if I was acting childish. “You’re always saying how you want to be left alone. We’ll be back next Saturday.” You’ve got to be kidding me. I can’t believe that they were doing this. Dad looks at his watch.

“That’s when it was just me and Ethan, and even Annie! You’re leaving me home alone for a week to go on vacation, not taking me just because I have one day of school. This isn’t fair!”