35. I Won't

“He’s sick?”

I was currently on the phone with Sofie. Apparently Eli had gotten sick a couple of days ago, which I didn’t think of when he said that he wouldn’t be able to take me to school the Tuesday before. “Yeah, he’s got a not so light cold,” Sofie told me. “But there’s nothing to worry about, it’s just because the seasons are changing.” I smile into the phone.

“Alright, well. I was thinking of making him something. Is it ok if I stop by later on?”

“Oh, yeah! I’m sure Eli would love that.” I nod my head, saying our good byes. I looked around, thinking of what I could possibly make for Eli that would help him get better. What had we had when the kids were here? Was it soup? Yeah! It was soup.

I quickly got to making the grilled cheese, and tomato soup. It took me a longer time because I had to do everything instead of having someone help me like last time. I decided to put half of the soup in a bowl, even though it was still hot, and knocked on my mom’s door.

“Yes, honey?” she asked, opening the door. “Do I smell tomato soup?” I nodded my head at her second question.

“Eli’s sick,” I get out quickly, “so I made him some tomato soup and grilled cheese. Can you take me to his house to give it to him, mom?” I asked, hopeful. I knew that if I mentioned that it was Eli, she would definitely be all for it. Mom smiled at me.

“Of course, are you going to be changing?” mom asks, looking over my lounge wear with a skeptical eye. I looked down at it myself, and didn’t really feel like changing. I shook my head, feeling fine going to his house in some Aeropostal sweat pants, and a long sleeved gray shirt. “Alright, just put on some shoes and we can get going.”

“Cassie! Leslie!” Mrs. Anderson exclaimed when she opened the door. “What are you doing here?”

“I heard that Eli was sick,” I told her as mom and I walked in. “I wanted to make him something to make him feel a bit better, and I knew that he really liked the tomato soup I had made one time. So, I thought that this would be good.”

“That’s so sweet,” Mrs. Anderson said as she led us to the kitchen.

“I also grilled two cheese sandwiches.” I hand everything over to her, and she gladly takes it. I smile.

“You can go and check up on him,” Mrs. Anderson tells me as she gets out a bowl. “He’s up in his room, and the boys are here too.”

“The boys?” Mrs. Anderson nods her head.

“Jackson, Austin, Michael, and Chase.” My ears perked up.

“Chase is here too?” I asked excitedly. “I haven’t met him yet!”

“Well, you get on up there. I’ve heard all of them have taken quite a liking to you.” I smile, turning on my heel and going towards the stairs, out of the kitchen. I didn’t know why I was excited and nervous, but the feeling was knocked out of me when I ran into someone.

“Oh, gosh! I’m sorry,” I say quickly. I look up and see a really tall, and really bulky looking guy. He looks down at me, confusion in his eyes. His eyes were small, and I’m not being racist or anything here, but yes, he was Asian. Wow, he was really tall. “Who are you?” I asked.

“That’s what I was just going to ask you,” he says, looking at me suspiciously. I cross my arms over my chest, and smile.

“I’m Cassie,” I said, “and I’m trying to get to Eli’s room.” I looked past the boy, and could easily see that Eli’s door was opened just a pinch. If only this guy would get out of the way. I wasn’t paying attention, so I didn’t see the realization dawn on his face.