10. Awkwardness And Tears

It had been a couple of days since me and Eli fought, considering that today was Tuesday. He didn’t text me, and I sure didn’t text him at all. It was just way too weird. I sat on the stool by the door, and looked over Snowflake to see that it was already 12:25. I pouted, rubbing my cat as he purred in my arms. “He’s not coming is he, Snowflake? He would’ve already been here by now.” I got up, keeping my cat in my arms as I started to walk to my mom, having to tell her that she would need to drive me to class. I really didn’t want to, considering mom knew that Eli was supposed to be picking me up. And then she would ask me why he wasn’t here, and then she would think that it was my fault that Eli was mad at me. I swear, she was starting to like him more than me. She practically glorified the ground he walked on because of that and how ‘precious’ and ‘helpful’ he was. Yeah, well he’s not helpful if I’m late to chemistry.

And then the doorbell rang. I looked down at Snowflake, who looked at me with even more confusion. I walked to the door, opening the door. “E-e-e-e,” I was so pathetic that I couldn’t even get his name out. “W-what are you –”

“I told your mom that I would take you to school, and I don’t go back on my word,” Eli say, looking down at me with an expressionless face. My eyes widen as I start to shake my head. “Get your stuff.”

“R-right, my stuff.” I let go of Snowflake, letting him walk away, as I tried to pick up all of my school stuff. I was so nervous that I even dropped my pencil pouch. “Breath, Cassie,” I told myself as I turned around, only to see the doorway was empty. I walked out and saw that Eli was already walking to the car. I yelled to mom to lock the door.

“I hope you ate, because I did.” My eyes widened, and I nodded my head.

“Oh, yeah,” I said, and then laughed awkwardly. “Of course I –”. The rest of my sentence was cut off by Eli starting the engine.

Right when I saw the parking lot of the church, I unbuckled. The quicker I could get out of this car the better. I didn’t even mutter a thank you as I got out of the partially moving car, holding my books closely to my body. The girls were waiting, and I shook my head, signaling that we wouldn’t be able to talk at that moment.

“I’m sorry, Cassie,” they all said, as I walked out of class. I shook my head. I had told them about me and Eli’s fight, every single thing.

“It was my fault; I should’ve bit my tongue.” I knew I should have, but it didn’t happen, and there wasn’t anything I could do about it.

“Still, it’s party his fault,” Skylar muttered, looking down for me. I sadly smiled at the girls all had my back. I knew they would, so I wasn’t at all surprised. They felt really bad, and I felt guilty; I shouldn’t have put this on their shoulders to know. I shake my head, trying to make them feel a bit better about my situation.

“Guys, don’t worry about it, ok? It’s my problem, and I'll fix it before you know it. So there’s nothing to be sad about, all right?” They smiled sadly at me, and nod their heads. “Good, I’ll see you guys next week.” For once, there wasn’t exclaiming and screaming; just… Depression. “I’ll call you later ok?” I told all of them as they were walking out of the church. They nodded their heads, walking out and I watched them drive away.

Surprisingly, I saw Eli’s car. His windows were tinted, so I couldn’t see what he was doing, so I just hiked my bag up on my shoulders, keeping on a poker face. I tugged on the door handle of the passenger seat, but the door didn’t open. Eli didn’t even look up as he unlocked the door. I sighed before opening it and sitting next to Eli. He barely even made any notice to me as he turned off his phone and sped out of the parking lot.