25. Accidentally Babysitting?

I got a lot of hugs. It made me really happy too. I think Eli realized that, and, while hugging me to make himself feel better, he also tried making me feel great too. He gave the best hugs, though; real tight and love filled. Well, not love filled, but with that “happiness of seeing your friend” emotion.

It was now early December, and I was realizing that time was going by really quickly the more time I spent with Eli. I didn’t like it personally; because that meant that it wouldn’t be the same after April. Because that’s when all of this ends.

“So, even though you know that this is all going to end soon, you're still getting attached like this?” I was on the phone with Josie, Skylar, Ava, and Lanie. We were all coming to the realization that the chance of the boys dropping us after prom was over was higher than most likely. We were only a charity case that they had heard about. All of the girls were fine with it, except for when it came to Eli and me.

“You can’t just let him drop you, Cassie,” Lanie says seriously. I rub my arm, feeling a bit awkward because of the subject. I didn’t want him to drop me, in fact that would probably break me, but it’s not like I could just tell him that. He would be all, “why?” and I would have to go all like, “because I may sort of like you.” And then he would be all rejecting, like, “sorry, but I don’t feel that same way.”

“You guys are too close anyway, so I don’t think I will be very happy with him dropping you. Not that I think he would actually drop you of course, he has too much of… This look in his eyes when he’s next to you.” I raise my eyebrows.

“A look? Really?” I shake my head, laughing at Ava.

“She’s serious, Cassie!” Skylar exclaims into the phone. “And I agree with her. Didn’t you say that he always hugs you now? What’s that about anyways?”

“I don’t really know, to be honest. Eli told me that it was important to him now, because of his grandfather, but he didn’t tell me why. I’ve been trying to search of things that may tell me why hugs would be important to someone, but I can’t get anything. It’s like it’s too deep and important to Eli.”

“I think it’s cute,” Josie says. “He obviously wants to be closer to you, and you don’t seem to mind his hugs either.” I snort.

“Of course I don’t! Eli’s hugs are literally the best thing that has ever been made.” All of them laugh at me, and for some reason, I get a little embarrassed. “Guys, it’s not that funny!” I look towards to the door, hearing that the doorbell had been rung. “I’ve got to go, guys, someone’s here.” We all say our goodbyes as I walk to the door and open it.

I’m not surprised to see Eli standing in front of me, hands stuffed in pockets, looking at me with a wide smile. It’s become sort of a habit now. He comes to my house more that not every week now. He looks up and points at the decorations.

“Nice Christmas decorations,” he says, giving me a hug before walking in. “When did you put them up?”

“The day after Thanksgiving, but you would’ve known that had you stayed here.” I locked the door as I heard Eli chuckle, and we both walked into the kitchen.

“Duty calls. I had to go spend some time with the family in Texas,” Eli argues. And then he spreads his arms out, “but I’m here now, aren’t I?” I laughed at him, and got out a fork, spoon, and two bowls.

“What are you doing here anyways?” I asked as I put chocolate ice cream in the bowls. “I thought you would’ve been doing something with the boys.” Eli shrugged his shoulders.

“I was bored,” he says simply as I set the bowl of ice cream in front of him and eat mine with the fork. He looks at me as if I was crazy. “You eat it with a fork?”