12. Dress Shopping With Surprises

“What are you doing tomorrow?” Eli asked me excitedly. We were currently in my driveway, and he had driven me back from school. I looked at him skeptically.

“I’m busy,” I say stiffly, not wanting to tell him what I was doing. Eli snorts, and I look at him confused.

“And what’s that?” he laughs. “Reading Percy Jackson books in a circle of other nerds.” I hit his shoulder, not liking that he was making fun of my mythology obsession. He looks at me and pouts while smiling, rubbing his arm as if I actually hurt him. “Tell me what’s going on.”

I chew on my cheek, not looking at him. I felt kind of embarrassed by the activity the girls were forcing me to interact in, but I really didn’t have a choice. I looked at Eli, and he chuckled while shaking his head.

“You don’t have to be all nervous about it. I have a lot on you that you should be embarrassed of.” I look at him, mouth slightly open in offense.

“I highly doubt that!” I say, crossing my arms across my chest. Eli laughs and holds up his hand.

“Shall I mention my list?” he asks, and continues even though I didn’t say anything. “There’s seeing your beautiful bed head. There’s watching you lose epically at one simple mission in Grand Theft Auto.” He looks up, and laughs loudly. “Oh, and my favorite; seeing you in nothing bu –”

“Ok, ok!” I exclaim, putting a hand over his mouth. “You don’t have to continue with anymore,” I say, feeling my cheeks flame. Eli smiles at me, putting his hand in my hair. He studies it, scrunching up his eyebrows a little while he plays with a strand.

“Why don’t you wear your hair curly?” he asked softly, looking genuinely confused. “I like it.” He digs his hand in deeper, and grabs a handful softly, pulling me closer so that he can have a better look at it. I look up, and he cocks his head to the side, licking his lips. My eyes widen.

“Because I don’t like it,” I say quickly, slapping his hand away. I back away from him, closer to the door, as I tell my heart beat to slow down. “I-I should get going,” I tell Eli, opening the door and dashing out of the car. But I had forgotten that I didn’t take off the seatbelt, so I was forced back into my seat roughly. Eli burst out laughing, not even trying to hide it, as I rub the sore spot. “It’s not funny, Eli!” I exclaim, pouting. Eli smiles at me, putting his hand over mine and looks into my eyes.

“You’ll be alright, I swear.” He unbuckles my seatbelt, and takes his hand off of mine. I quickly got out of the car, and started to walk quickly to my front door. But I turned around and bent down so I could see Eli’s face.

“We’re going dress shopping,” I said quickly before closing the car door, and walking away.

I rubbed my eyes with my hands, getting tired of shopping already. “Seriously, Cassie, how are you a girl if you don’t like shopping? I’ve met guys that like shopping more than you do!” I stick my tongue out at Skylar, and she makes a face at me before shrugging her shoulders and going back to looking at dresses. We were currently at the mall, Skylar, Ava, Lanie, Josie, and I, and I was currently complaining about the time. “I’ll be right back, guys.”

“She’s right, Cassie,” Ava started talking. “You can’t start that when you’ve only been in the store for fifteen minutes.” I shook my head, knowing that I wouldn’t be able to win an argument with these girls; they all loved shopping as much as they loved their families.

I kept going through dresses upon countless dresses, and then sighed before turning around and smiling. Skylar stood in front of us with a small grin on her face. I could tell that she loved the dress already. I pulled my phone out and took a picture. “What do you think, guys?” she asked us quietly, grabbing at the dress.