August 13, 1995

A few beers and more than a few hours later I was stuck in a general subject chat room where the conversations had started out interesting, but that was hours ago. I'd all but given up on these people who kept switching at random from one topic to another for no apparent reason and even worse most of them seemed to have little to no clue what it was they were talking about. Honestly few things bother me as much as people talking out if their ass, just admit you don't know anything on the subject and move on. Just as I was about to give up and sign off a private chat box popped up catching my attention.

SixStringGuy: Hey where'd you go?

This guy, at least I'm assuming he's a guy, had been in the chat room when I first logged on. At one point he became the center of a heated argument about music. After professing his love of 70's and 80's music a large portion of the room had ganged up on him, chastising him for his musical tastes. That was the point where I had to step in and defend this stranger form this hoard of kids who seemed to believe everything for that time was disco and hair metal...stupid kids.

SixStringGuy: You still there?

Grumpybluebear: Yeah, still here. Just watching this chatroom implode.

SixStringGuy: I see. Thanks for backing me up earlier.

Grumpybluebear: Sure. Someone needs to educate these kids. Most of what passes for music these days is utter crap.

SixStringGuy: "kids" need to have their horizons broadened. So I'm guessing you're not one of those kids.

Grumpybluebear: oh... Is that your way of asking my age?

SixStringGuy: it's not like that. Just want to make sure you're not 12 or something.

Pulling my feet up under myself in my chair, I took the last swig of my open beer as I laughed quietly at the screen.

Grumpybluebear: that happen to you often? Lol.

SixStringGuy: not yet and I want to keep it that way.

Grumpybluebear: how old are you?

I watched as the time ticked by in the lower right hand corner of my screen. After a few minutes I double checked to make sure his icon still showed him as being online.

Grumpybluebear: your silence tells me you're either really young or really old. Which is it SixString??

SixStringGuy: 37

Grumpybluebear: well that's not really young or really old. Did it just take you that long to do the math? :)

SixStringGuy: HaHa. Your turn.

Grumpybluebear: I'm 26.

SixStringGuy: Nice to meet you Grumpy. Why Grumpy?

Grumpybluebear: I think I might have been in a mood the day I set up the name. . . So I'm guessing you like guitar?

SixStringGuy: it's a hobby.

Grumpybluebear: ok. So do you spend a lot of time in chat rooms causing arguments about music?

SixStringGuy: LOL! Is that your way of asking me if I come here often?

Grumpybluebear: What?!

I was choking on air so loud that I nearly drowned out the noises coming through the wall from Alley's bedroom.

SixStringGuy: Weakest line ever! Are you trying to hit on me mama? If so you gotta try harder than that.

Grumpybluebear: No! OMG! What's wrong with you.

SixStringGuy: I'm joking...but I think your words were blushing a little ;)

Grumpybluebear: Whatever.

SixStringGuy: I'd never been in that room before tonight actually.

Grumpybluebear: Me neither.

SixStringGuy: it was just a rough day and I thought I'd see who was out here tonight. How was your day?

Grumpybluebear: hectic. I just got back to my apartment from a quick trip home, now I have to get ready to start my first year of grad school. Why was your day tough?

SixStringGuy: Grad school? Good for you. Men today like their lady's educated.

Grumpybluebear: Hey now ...

SixStringGuy: what's your major?

Grumpybluebear: political science. Now I believe I asked you about your day. Avoiding my question?

SixStringGuy: just been working on some business deals. It's been exhausting, but I think it's almost done.

Grumpybluebear: sounds important. What business are you in?

Another long silence fills the screen as I wait patiently for an answer I soon decide will never come.

Grumpybluebear: so you didn't want to tell me your age and now you don't want to tell me your business. You know if you don't give me something I'm going to make up my own story about you.

SixStringGuy: ok. So what's the story then?

Grumpybluebear: what time is it where you are?

SixStringGuy: 5:15am

Grumpybluebear: ok, so your 2 hours ahead of me, so somewhere in the Midwest I'll say. And you're cool with being up this late. I say your a strip club owner and your looking to expand to a second location. Your business deal has been the difficult process of acquiring the building and getting zoning changed to permit adult entertainment. Yup that's your story.

SixStringGuy: wow, how did you know? It's like you already know me lol.

Grumpybluebear: well Mr. Stripclub owner, I must be heading to bed. Add me to your friends list, maybe we can chat again. If you want.

SixStringGuy: I'll do that. I usually try to get on here on Sunday nights, so maybe I'll see you next week.

Grumpybluebear: that would be cool.

SixStringGuy: in the mean time, get in some practice time on our pole. We are looking to hire some new dancers soon ;)

Grumpybluebear. Good night creeper.

SixStringGuy: good night.

I crawled into bed that morning thinking about that conversation and really wondering who this guy is. At least he was funny and didn't seem like the normal mouth breather you find online who only wants to talk about cybersex. A smile crept over my lips as I fell asleep thinking about how nice it would be to have someone to talk to that wasn't my boyfriend or someone at school who only talked about school. Next Sunday maybe.