April 10, 1996 (Part 3)

"Go ahead whore, tell him who you're talking to. Tell him you're talking that way to his wife." Her piercing voice sent a small chill down my spine as I momentarily let her get to me. Her words struck a nerve, an unacknowledged fear that had been lingering in the back of my mind since he arrived. His eyes stayed on me as he moved slowly toward me, my mind racing, trying to determine how this would all play out, where would I really stand with him after this? The closer he came the more I felt the color in my face start to fade and my anxiety raise. "Prince are you there?" she took on the tone of an innocent victim after I'd stayed silent long enough for her to assume I had handed over the receiver to the man that was staring me down with a concerned look. "Prince she's harassing me and your baby." Not knowing she was pleading her case to the wrong person.

"It's still me honey, you can save the theatrics." my voice thick with irritation, my left eyebrow arching only to have him mirror my expression as his left hand came up slowly leaving a trail of goosebumps along the sensitive skin covering my right forearm. "What do you think he'll say?" words directed towards her, but my eyes not daring to leave the safety of his which were still clouded in confusion. "Do you think he'll be happy you found this number and called here?" the confusion started to lift from those soft eyes and I watched as that tender vulnerability left them and was replaced with something far more guarded and harsh. "Don't you think if he wanted to be there with you he would be? Do you really think he lets other people tell him what to do and where to go?" His hand moved down my arm to my wrist, finally wrapping his hand around the receiver I was holding onto like a lifeline.

"Sydney." his voice softer than I'd ever heard before, his tone holding an unspoken apology that settled at least some of my worry. Without another word I passed the phone to him just as she started yelling into the phone with that eardrum piercing screech. She was loud enough for me to hear as he held the device a safe distance back from his ear.

"He does what I tell him to do you fucking skank, he married me didn't he? And when I tell him how you've treated me on this call you'll never see him again. All you are is a quick fuck, something to get it out of his system before OUR baby arrives."

"So I do what you tell me to?" that beautifully emotive voice now flat, emotionless and cold as he interrupted her tirade that was never intended to meet his ears. "You think you can control me is that it?" there was a nervousness about him as he broke eye contact with me and began pacing through my small living room. "No, you have no right to call here. . .what? I heard the phone ring, I know you are the one that did the calling." exasperation heavy in the rush of breath that passed over his lips. I was in my own apartment, watching his back as he paced and handled his 'business' and I'd never felt more uncomfortable in my own home. "How the fuck did you get this number anyways?" his voice started to raise slightly and I'd had enough of listening to this. Taking a few large steps into the kitchen I reached into the fridge and retrieved a cold beer before quietly stepping out the front door and settling at the top of the rough concrete steps on the exterior of the building. Twisting the top off, I took a large swig from the amber bottle and let my eyes fall closed, trying to ignore the muffled sound of heated conversation that was coming from inside my apartment. Try as I might, the longer he stayed on the phone the more I started to dwell on the things she'd said. In particular the part about this just being something he had to get out of his system before she had the baby. As much as I hope her baby held no piece of his genetic material, I couldn't help but think how naïve I would be to not wonder what happens if it is his baby. Would he drop me and live happily ever after with her? Would he expect me to hang on in the shadows as some official mistress? Would he leave her? There were so many possibilities and in that moment, with my brain running a million miles an hour, very few of those possibilities looked like they would go in my favor. I had become so lost in my own worry I hadn't noticed the temperature starting to drop and that I'd finished my beer.

"What are you doing out here?" I would brought back to the harsh reality of life by his soft voice and the feeling of her jacket being wrapped around my shoulders as I casually swung my empty beer bottle in neat circles as I held it by the neck. Startled I snapped my head in his direction, taking in the worried look in his eyes as I noticed I was shivering. "Come on baby, lets get you inside and warmed up." Without a word I followed him into my now quiet apartment, the only sound I heard was the internal sound of my body shivering trying to create it's own warmth. Closing the door and locking the world out with the solid click of the deadbolt he came around me, hands rubbing over my shaking upper arms as his concerned gaze looked me over. My ears caught the rushing sound of water as his fingers wrapped around my hand, pulling me into my steam filled bathroom.

"Prince..."

"You looked like you were a million miles away when I found you sitting out there." He reached around pulling his black jacket off my trembling shoulders before hanging it on the back of the door. "So I started a warm bath for you." My eyes following him as he walked to the tub, turning off the flow of steaming water. Silently he pulled all my clothing off. As each piece came off he'd follow behind with his lips, leaving tender kisses along the newly exposed flesh. Holding my still trembling hand he helped me step into the tub and settle comfortably into the hot water covered in lavender scented bubbles. Leaning my head back against the tile wall I let my eyes slip closed as my legs stretched out in the small, generic apartment bathtub. My sigh echoed off the cool walls as the damp heat of the water seeped into my bones, replacing the cold I'd been lost in. The click of the bathroom door opened my eyes and as I watched as Prince walked through, not wearing the most generic pair of black boxers I'd ever seen and nothing else.  He sat in the edge of the tub that was too small to comfortably fit both of us, and brought his hand up to cup my cheek. "Sydney..."

"Is she right? Am I just a phase?" A cool tear slipped across the warm skin of my cheek for just a moment before he managed to catch it.

"I love you Sydney." The vulnerability I saw this morning had returned to his eyes, almost looking afraid I was going to break his heart. "I'm sorry she called here and treated you that way. And she isn't right about anything." Bringing my hands out from under the thick layers of bubbles, I wrapped my dripping arms around his torso, resting my head against his firm, flat belly as I pulled him into my tight grasp.

"But how is this supposed to work out?" My voice trembling without my permission. "I mean what if..."

"No what if's tonight mama."  Sturdy arms wrapped around my back as he kissed the top of my head.  "I will figure this all out, I promise. I'll take care of this and you."  There were no more words shared in that bathroom. He bathed me as we exchanged small kisses and that was how we passed the afternoon until the water turned cold.