April 8, 1996 (part 2)

Some hours later I woke to find Prince curled up against me, naked and sleeping soundly. As I laid there for a few moments, looking over his soft, peaceful features my thought started to drift back into some of our online conversations, and even as I lay there with his bare flesh pressed against mine, I could feel the blush starting to raise on my cheeks. Slipping out from under the covers without a sound and making sure he was still asleep, I grabbed some jeans and a low cut v neck t-shirt before stepping out of my bedroom, closing the door behind me. More than an hour, and one quick shower later, I was finishing up a small project in the kitchen as the sound of my bedroom door opening met my ears. Without even the slightest glance in that direction I continued with the task at hand. Standing at the counter, slowly filling the two white coffee mugs, I felt two solid arms wrap around my waist.

"What's this?" His gentle voice deeper than I was accustomed to and still heavy with sleep, as he pulled me back against his warm frame. Unwrapping his arms from me, I slipped a cup of coffee into his hand before picking up mine and a plate and heading into the living room.

"I told you once," resting the plate on the coffee table as I took a seat on the couch, "I would offer you coffee and conversation if you showed up." Giving him a shy smile as he walked around me, sitting in the opposite corner of the couch.  A quick glance over his form and a chill when through me as I took notice that he was only wearing his black pants. It was silly after what had happened the night before, but in the light of day watching him sit casually on my couch only half dressed made me shy, nervous even. My eyes quickly shifted to my coffee, as a knot formed in the pit of my stomach, afraid of being caught staring at something that wasn't mine.

"Coffee's good."'his words brought a smile to my lips as I watched the dark fluid in my cup intently. "What's this?" Looking up to see him reaching for the plate on the coffee table, watching the muscles move under his skin as he leaned over to grab one of the fresh pastries.

"Oh, just some quick scones I threw together."my voice quiet as I watched him take a bite, my eyes still moving south of his face, causing a warmth to spread over my cheeks. "I'm sorry," my words rushed as he took a bite of the chocolate scone, "could you please put your shirt on." His eyes caught mine as he leisurely chewed his bite before lifting just one side of his mouth in a knowing grin. Without a word he disappeared into the bedroom and emerged a moment later with his shirt from the night before covering his torso. We sat in silence, on opposite sides of the couch, each of us casting hesitant glances at the other on occasion. My mind was swirling with questions, so many things I wanted to know, things I felt I needed to know. Wrapping my hands firmly around the warm mug of coffee, my vision getting lost in the dark liquid as I silently pondered if I really was owed answers to any of my questions.

"Sydney?" My eyes twitch, nearly looking toward him, but I managed to hold my gaze in my cup. I was terrified that looking at home would cause all the questions swirling around my mind to come pouring out, that my real trepidation at this situation would be revealed. The the slightly worn cushions of my second hand couch shifted under me as I felt his body move closer to mine. He was close enough that I could feel body heat warming my side. Finally shifting my gaze to him I found him sitting, turned towards me, with one leg bent and resting on the couch while his hands, fingers entwined, sat in the back of the sofa, his chin resting on the back of his hands. "Ask me." Tilting my head to study his features, his express eyes wide in anticipation as he bit his bottom lip. "I can see the questions just behind your eyes." His expression serious, hazel eyes still gentle as he studied my face. A soft finger slid up the line of my jaw before gently pushing a stray piece of hair behind my ear. I felt a shy blush come over my cheeks as we sat there in silence, this room starting to feel just like I had those first few months we chatted online, nervous and overwhelmed.  Even after our conversation yesterday and everything that transpired last night, I was shy, nervous even, about this whole situation.

"Are you leaving today?" The curious expression that came across his face told me this was not the question he expected.

"Why would I leave today? I told you I'm here for the week." His voice soft as that curious expression stayed plastered across his face. Anxiously my glance shifted back to the slowly cooling coffee in my mug.

"I just figured after last night you'd. . ."

"I didn't just come here to sleep with you Sydney." His voice firm and I watched through my peripheral vision as his head tilted slightly to get my attention."Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we did," his finger hooking under my chin, pulling my face to look at him, "I very much enjoyed what happened between us, but that's not why I'm here."

"Then why exactly are you here Prince?" Honest curiosity the only emotion laying over my simple question.

"To apologize. To spend time with you. I want us to get to know each other better. . .I. . ." The slight furrow in his brow told me was looking for just the right word, and it only made me wish I could reach into his mind and pull out the words that came to him at first instinct. I wanted desperately to know what he really wanted to say in the raw, before he prettied his words for me. "I've really enjoyed our time together, online, and I just wanted more time in person to see what's really here." The words he chose were so simple, yet so open to interpretation. Taking a deep breath, the tense air of the living room filling my constricted feeling lungs, as my mind finally puts all the right words together for my response. As I part my lips to speak the cold sound of knuckles against my front door echoes throughout my apartment.

"Be right back." The slight grin I caught on his face as I walked away told me he saw the relief in my eyes at this welcome distraction. Rounding the corner to the front door, I threw back the door without bothering to check peephole first, and the sight I was met with was like a punch in the gut.

"Hey Syd." He flashed me that smile I hadn't seen in months as my mind raced to figure out why he was standing at my door. Familiar eyes roamed my form, from head to toe and back, clad in his normal black leather jacket, white t-shirt and jeans as he leans casually against my doorframe. I can feel my brow furrow and eyes start to narrow harshly in his direction.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" The smug grin on his face didn't falter for even a moment.

"I heard you were hear alone for spring break," shifting to stand with his hands against each side of the door frame, attempting to make his average sized frame look larger, "just thought I'd see if you needed some company." Punctuating his statement with a wink that made my stomach turn. I drew a deep breath threw my nose and sighed as I started to talk but I was caught off guard as I watched his face fall and eyes turn cold as I felt two arms come around my waist from behind and the weight of his chin rest on my shoulder.

"She doesn't need any company, Miko." The words rolled so effortlessly off Prince's tongue. I couldn't help but smile as I watched emotions ranging from confusion to outrage flash across Miko's typically cool face. "I've got her all taken care of." Prince punctuated his words by burying his face in the crook of my neck and leaving little, wet kisses across my sensitive skin.

"Bye Miko." Smiling, as Prince continued trailing his lips along my neck, I gave Miko a little wave as I closed the door. Prince began to chuckle lightly through his kisses, as his contagious laughter reached my lips. "How did you know that was Mike?" Slipping my fingers threw his hair as he lifted his face, eyes meeting mine.

"Just a lucky guess," his lips met mine briefly, "don't think he'll be back to bother you anytime soon." His arms tightened around my waist while hands ran up and down his forearms. And just like that all the tension was gone and it was just like I was spending time with an old friend. Albeit, an old friend that was just in my bed and who was making my core throb just standing here, but an old friend none the less.  "Let's head over to my hotel so I can shower and change then we can figure out the day from there." Nodding at his suggestion I let al my question is and worries drop for now, there would be time for that later, for now I wanted to enjoy our time.