April 11, 1996 (part 4)

During breakfast we made small talk about the first album he had planned after he was released from his contract. He explained he had the idea for a double album, but was thinking of changing it to a triple based on some new ideas which he refused to elaborate on. He asked me about school and my plans after I finished. We share the intricacies of our lives, of our dreams even while ate those omelettes that Thursday morning. As we ate a storm rolled into town bringing with it a heavy downpour of rain, demanding winds, and dark grey clouds casting an ominous shadow over the relatively flat landscape. Not wanting to leave the house and not wanting to destroy the comfortable mood we found ourselves in we cleared away breakfast and moved to a riveting game of scrabble where I saw his competing side for the first time.

"You know damn well that isn't a word." I chastised him with a cocked eyebrow as he slid back comfortably in his chair as though he thought he'd just won the game. The grin on his face was infuriating as he tried to stare me down.

"Oh yes it is sugar." That wicked grin only getting wider as he spoke. Reaching across the table for my well used and worn looking copy of the Oxford English Dictionary I watched his gaze turn to the open window, his smile faltering slightly. 

"Hey," my hand finding his across the pine colored tabletop, "what wrong?" Warm fingers wrapped around mine as his hand flipped over.

"I leave tomorrow evening." Turning his gaze back to me as if he was dreading what he might find reflected back to him. We both knew this was coming and yet neither one of us had said a word about it until now. It had almost felt as though if no one brought it up, maybe it just wouldn't happen, maybe he's never have to leave.  The heaviness hidden in the deep fathoms of those unlined and completely makeup free eyes shook me. I knew the second I laid eyes on him standing unexpectedly in my living room I'd never want him to leave; even as I yelled at him to get out that day, that was the last thing I wanted. He was new and unexpected, he was an adventure in my life I wasn't ready to let go of yet and I never thought I'd see those feelings reflected back to me as o fell into his eyes over that scrabble board that morning.

"I know." The only words I could manage as I drew a deep steadying breath. I was terrified of what came next or what wouldn't come next. Terrified that this would be it, I'd never see him again, but I was just as terrified of how this works if he wants more from me. Trying to keep all the different emotions flooding my mind off the soft features of my face that wanted to naturally contort in confusion and questions.

"We should do something tonight." the large impish grin spreading across his face along with the nearly childlike excitement buttered over his voice made me smile and very nearly forget his looming deadline, or potential expiration date. Hazel eyes with a heavy sprinkling of green flickered over to the window, taking in the darkening sky but the lack of clouds and rain.

"What did you have in mind?"

"Show me a night on the town little miss college student." his eyes flicked back to mine as if posing a challenge.  My teeth worried my bottom lip slightly, sure he was used to extravagant parties and lavish events and knowing the night on the town I would have to offer would provide none of those things. "No," leaning over the table and pressing his velvety lips firmly to mine for a long moment, "don't worry about what you think I'm used to." he mumbled still against my mouth before his tongue demanded entrance.  I lost myself in that soft warm sensation of him seeking out my every truth, demanding from me and my body freely giving of itself. delicate pecks on my lips ended the kiss as he leaned back off the table and stood up, pulling me up with him. "Show me what a night out is like for you." I felt his biceps flex slightly as those arms wrapped around me, pulling me up flush against him, allowing me to feel his incredibly hard desire.

"What if someone sees us?" tilting his head to study me, asking his question without making a sound. "I know we've been out in town, but this could look like a date and. . ."

"It is date Sydney." arms resting on his shoulders I allowed my fingers to trail nervously through the short hair on the back of his head.

"But what if someone says something to the press or what if there is press or what if. . ."

"I don't care." three simple words were his only answer to what we both knew was a complicated situation and the conviction with which they were said made every scenario stop playing through my mind. I studied his determined features as he stood in silence. I was falling into a void filled with nothing but the sound of his breathing, the beating of his heart and his warm, welcoming scent. His right hand drifted down from my waist, slowly finding my ass and giving it a firm squeeze.  "Now go get ready to take your man out and show him the town."

It couldn't have been even 45 minutes later and we were headed out to enjoy the local night life, which in a small college town was a handful of bars downtown. He drove the 5 minutes to downtown in his sleek black rental car as I gave him the simple directions to get to the nicest bar in town. 

"Here we are." I announced victoriously as we stepped out of the car a block away from our destination. He was looking nicely put together in a pair of black trousers with a fitted purple button up dress shirt, and of course his rather trademark looking black heals on. 

"And just where is here mama?" he asked as he wrapped his arm around the back of my waist, pulling me in close to his side and planting a quick kiss on my cheek.  I had opted for a simple pair of fitted blue jeans, a low cut black top and black kitten heals leaving me at nearly the same height as him.

"The Moonlight." I pointed to the little hole in the wall looking establishment with an old narrow door on the brick façade of the historic building that we had just walked up to. "Best martini's in town." I flashed him a quick smile as I pulled open the heavy door revealing the deep, but narrow bar; walls of exposed masonry, antique looking gold filigree chandeliers, and high backed booths along both sides of the establishment. Checking over my shoulder I watched as his large, expressive eyes took in everything around him. From the replica classical paintings in ornate frames decorating the walls to the old and worn looking wooded floor under our feet that had a shine no old wood should ever have.   

"I didn't expect this." his words were quiet as we slipped into one of the dark mahogany booths.

"Most people don't." I responded with a smile as I slipped the small drink and appetizer menu to him. "So," my almost nervous sounding words caught his attention, those intense eyes coming back to mine, "I haven't found a drink they can't make, but here is there list of specialty martini's and they only have simple appetizers to eat." Those eyes traveled to the single page menu in his hand and just as his mouth opened to speak he was cut off.

"Hey Sydney! I didn't know you stayed in town for spring break." the tall, perky blonde in the black slacks and white shirt so tight and low cut her breasts threatened to spill out at any minute standing at the end of the table with a pen and tablet of paper in hand was from my comparative politics class.

"Hi Angela." My cheeks heating up slowly as I watched her eyes slip over the man next to me. "I didn't know you were a waitress here." He finally looked up, taking note of the well endowed woman without much interest.

"Yeah well," she shrugged her shoulders and bounced her hair aimlessly from side to side, "my father took my credit cards away, so I had to do something. Who's this with you? You're not from any of my classes." She leaned slightly over the table as though she was having trouble getting a good look at him, but it was a clear attempt to garner more attention.

"Nice to meet you Angela." he offered his well manicured hand which she gladly took getting only a quick, courteous shake. "My name's Jamie, I'm Sydney's boyfriend."