December 3, 1995

Taking a deep breath as I finally rested back in my chair, a smile crept over my face as I felt all the tension I'd been carrying finally disappear. My joints all relaxed and my eyes slipped closed while I enjoyed the deafening silence all around me. With another deep breath my eyes opened, I sat up and clicked save. My final paper of the quarter was done and I couldn't feel better. The last week had been nothing but research, writing, revision, more research and so on. And now I could focus entirely on getting ready for my vacation. I hadn't even had a chance to think about that over the last week. I still hadn't figured out what I was packing. Running my hands through my hair I finally take notice of the time.

"Shit, I'm late." The room only responds with that screeching sound of connecting.

Grumpybluebear: Hey there! I just finished my last paper for the quarter :)

SixStringGuy: Hello! And congratulations! It's vacations time ;)

Grumpybluebear: I was just thinking about that. I haven't even started packing or even thinking about what I'm going to take for clothes.

SixStringGuy: you've got a few days, I think you'll be fine lol.

Grumpybluebear: yeah but now I'm excited and want to pack and get things moving. You said layers right?

SixStringGuy: That is a must. You'll be looking at temps in the 20's and there is already snow on the ground.

Grumpybluebear: ok, got it.

Pushing my chair back I leaned back and peered into my open closet trying to make some mental notes on items I definitely wanted to pack.

SixStringGuy: how was your thanksgiving?

Grumpybluebear: Oh, it was ok. I had to explain to my parents why Miko wasn't there.

SixStringGuy: you hadn't told them you broke up?

Grumpybluebear: nah. So I told them we grew apart. My mom bought it, but I'm pretty sure my dad actually figured out the truth of the situation. He's cool like that.

SixStringGuy: I'm glad you were able to get through that without it being awkward.

Grumpybluebear: yeah. And I spent some time catching up with some of my aunts and uncles. You know overall it was good. I did see Miko.

SixStringGuy: oh really?

Grumpybluebear: and you were right again, he tried for a repeat of his last visit, but I shut him down.

SixStringGuy: Good. I'm proud of you Sydney :)

Grumpybluebear: thanks. So what about thanksgiving for you?

SixStringGuy: it was quiet. But I did get caught up on some work.

Grumpybluebear: ok, but what happened with dinner and the in-laws?

SixStringGuy: everything blew up over that. Basically Mary and her mother decided I was being acceptable and rude. So Mary thought it would be best if she went back home alone for the holiday to smooth things over with her parents.

I sat with my jaw hanging open staring at the computer screen for a few minutes. What the hell was that about. Who did that to their future husband? All the things I wanted to say initially I knew I couldn't without insulting her, or worse potentially upsetting him.

Grumpybluebear: I'm sorry, did you just tell me she left you alone for the holiday?

SixStringGuy: yes. She flew to another state for a week.

Grumpybluebear: how can you not be bothered by the fact that your future wife left you alone like that. She's your fiancé, you are supposed to be a unified team. I don't understand.

SixStringGuy: it's fine really. I've spent a lot of holidays alone.

Grumpybluebear: but it's like she abandoned you

SixStringGuy: That's enough Sydney. It was fine and we're not talking about this anymore.

The finality of his words told me I'd struck a nerve I hadn't meant to. I felt bad and wanted to apologize, but I knew better.

Grumpybluebear: well you'll be able to get more things done with your free time next Sunday since I won't be around to bother you.

SixStringGuy: ah, you're never a bother. I'll actually miss our conversation next week. I realized last week that I've grown accustom to talking to you every Sunday.

Grumpybluebear: yeah me too. But the Sunday after I'll be back and who knows what stories I'll have to tell ;)

SixStringGuy: that is true.  I really hope you have a good time.

Grumpybluebear: I almost forgot! I have news.

SixStringGuy: oh??

Grumpybluebear: Meg heard from John yesterday. Prince is having a concert at his place on the 9th and we already have tickets :)

SixStringGuy: well now that is exciting sugar. Now don't forget you'll need to figure out a good outfit for that as well. And hey maybe you'll meet the man himself ;)

Grumpybluebear: lol, maybe. Meg said she's been to about 7 of these events and she's never met him, but maybe I'll be her good luck charm :)

SixStringGuy: you just never know.

Grumpybluebear: Hey Jamie, I hate to cut this short, but I'm exhausted. I'm falling asleep in my chair lol.

SixStringGuy: well we can't have that. You get yourself to bed and rest up. You leave on your big adventure soon and I want to hear all about it when you get back.

Grumpybluebear: I promise I'll give you all the details. You stay out of trouble while I'm gone and I hope things get better with Mary.

SixStringGuy: Thanks. Have safe travels and I'll chat with you on the 17th. Now get to bed.

Grumpybluebear: night Jamie.

SixStringGuy: sweet dreams Sydney.

-----------------------------------
Alright, the next 2 chapters will be about their meeting. I'm hoping to have them done and posted by Monday. They will be posted at the same time, so don't worry if you don't see anything over the weekend, trust me I haven't forgotten. I'm pretty excited for this part of the story and I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks again to everyone for reading. We still have a long way to go with this story 😉