October 15, 1995

SixStringGuy: Sorry but I do not want to talk about my week. Why don't you tell me about yours?

Pulling the cork on my second bottle of wine I sighed heavily as his words appeared. I was not about to tell him what happened this last week. No way in hell was that happening. That would be like admitting it to myself I thought while taking a big pull direct from the cold glass bottle before pouring myself a glass.

Grumpybluebear: Nope. I don't want to talk about my week. No. No. No.

SixStringGuy: Ok mama, settle down. I won't make you talk about whatever happened. So what should we talk about?

Taking a long sip from my glass of cold fermented grape juice I give his question serious consideration in what was becoming my slightly fuzzy state of mind.

Grumpybluebear: Jamie I think you should have a drink with me.

SixStringGuy: well I don't think we're in the same area so logistically we have a problem.

Grumpybluebear: no. See I'm sitting in my bedroom at this computer desk drinking and I've been told that drinking alone is sad, so you should have a drink with me.

SixStringGuy: Ah, I see now. Well what exactly are you drinking Sydney?

Grumpybluebear: White wine sir.

Emptying my glass only to fill it again.

SixStringGuy: ok. Give me a minute.

Sitting at my desk I busied myself by studying my wine as I gently agitated the glass. This past week has left me wondering if I was truly capable of making good life choices.

SixStringGuy: alright I'm back. I've got a nice glass of wine to drink along with you. But I'm dying to know how much you've drank already.

Grumpybluebear: working my way through my second bottle. You've got some catching up to do.

SixStringGuy: oh no, I'm not playing that game. Maybe you should slow down.

Grumpybluebear: I'm good. It's just wine. Anyways. Let chat. Just get to know each other.

SixStringGuy: Ok. So what's on your mind Sydney?

Grumpybluebear: Ok, if you weren't a strip club mogul what would you do with your life?

SixStringGuy: I'd probably try my hand at music. See if I could make anything out of that.

Grumpybluebear: oh that's right you said guitar was a hobby. Are you any good?

SixStringGuy: some people think I am. What about you, why the major in political science?

Grumpybluebear: I like politics. It's like a live action chess game where the characters are always changing. I'd like to end up as a speech writer someday, but we will see.

SixStringGuy: so you like to write. Anything specific you enjoy writing?

Grumpybluebear: nothing specific just love the act of writing. The feel of the pen against the paper as I watch the page fill up with my thoughts and knowing I created it no matter if it's good or bad. There is a satisfaction in that for me.

SixStringGuy: I can understand that. It's that feeling of completion that comes at the end of the creative process. In the end it doesn't matter what people think of your creation it is a part of you, an expression of self.

Pouring the last of the wine into my glass I let my eyes glaze over his words a few times. That was certainly not what I expected to read from a strip club owner, you just never know who people really are.