Chapter Thirty Four

Edd's POV:

I slowly open my eyes and squint at the bright lights around me. I try to sit up only to have my head start pounding vigorously. I hold my head as I lay back down.

"You're awake! Shit, I thought you'd never wake up Edd." I recognize Kevin's voice and turn to see him walking towards me with a relived yet worried look.

"W-where am I?" I ask but it comes out squeaky.

"The hospital. You scared me Edd, I thought you weren't going to wake up." He says gripping onto the bed handle.

Bed?

I look around to see I'm laying in one of the nurse's bed. My nose instantly crinkles. The nurse has a tendency to not wash the bed sheets. Judging from the stain next to my leg, I'm laying on a dirty bed spread.

"Double D?"

My eyes flicker to the red head standing next to me.

"What happened to you?" I ask now noticing the swollen black eye and bruises covering him.

"You don't remember? There was a fight between me and Frank...and Eddy. And like 3 other dudes."

"Frank and I." I say chuckling to myself that I had forgotten such an event.

A look of confusion covered Kevin's face and then a frown as he caught on to what I said. "This isn't really the time for you to be smart,Edd."

Now it's my turn to frown as I glare at him. "What happened to Ed and Eddy?" I ask knowing they must've gotten in trouble.

"After you passed out, the teachers finally came to try and break up the fight and everyone involved got sent to the office. They're okay, just... everyone got suspended for 2 days. Everyone as in...Me,Frank,Eddy,Ed,those three guys,...and y-you."

As he said the last word I felt my world break apart. I shot up from the bed and held my head as the pain came back.

"Edd you shouldn't be stan-"

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M SUSPENDED?" I shout ignoring the pain. That's it my life is ruined.

"Edd,le-"

"This is going on my record! Colleges won't accept me with this kind of record Kevin! What do I tell my parents?" I yell at him.

"Edd it's not like a bad suspension. I mean I explained to them that you didn't do anything and they said they knew you never would. But Mr.Henry said you can't come to school because of your head injury." He explains, talking really fast.

"...Kevin." I say in a calm voice.

"Y-yea?"

"That's not a suspension you neanderthal!" I burst out holding onto my head once again.

"A what? A nederthan?? " Kevin asks his eyebrows raised in confusion.  Confusion written all over his face.

{A/N the misspelled version neanderthal was to show Kevin didn't know how to pronounce it.}

Guilt washed through me as I realized what I said. Kevin isn't a neanderthal.
"My apologies Kevin. I didn't mean to insult you. Just you scared me. And I'm angry with you for starting a fight."

"You're angry? I didn't start the fight on purpose I was doing it for, Edd." He says reaching out and holding my hand. "For what he did to you. He hurt you and he had to pay for it."

"That's sweet and I appreciate your help. Kevin, I don't need you to fight my battles. I know I may not have your muscles,but I can be strong in the real way. So I can fight by myself ok?" I say holding onto his hand.