The Reason

Gabriella's finger was drawing invisible circles on Troy's bare chest. She was listening to his heartbeat that fell into a perfect rhythm, not too fast and not too slow. The only sound that could be heard in the coffee room was the crackle of the fire that was almost out and Troy's even breathing. Gabriella had no idea what time it was, but if she were to guess, she would have said 3:30 AM. She was extremely tired and her body ached a little from the sex, but her mind wouldn't let her fall asleep. There were too many things running around in it as she continues to stare up at Troy's perfect features. The way his mouth didn't move and how his eyelids flickered here in there. The way his hair was messed up from the sweat that was collected and had dried. He was gorgeous, and Gabriella knew that.

She sighs and softly kisses his bare chest right above his nipple. She couldn't believe how the course of events had changed in just a few hours. A little over 48 hours ago, Troy had asked her out and she turned him down. A little over 24 hours ago, her heart was crushed when she thought that Troy had slept with someone else. A little less then 12 hours ago, she kissed Bradin Cunningham and felt dirty and disgusting. And a little less then four hours ago, Troy Bolton was making love to her, and it was by far the best feeling she had ever felt in her entire life.

Even though she knew that every girl would be all over him, she was going to have to learn to try to trust him. She felt something with him that she had never felt before, and that was love. He was the only person who knew her better then she knew herself. He wasn't only the love of her life, but he was her best friend too. Four years without him had seemed like a lifetime, and even though he wasn't the same Troy that she fell for when she was younger, that didn't mean it was bad. The Troy she knew before was fun, caring, sweet, and an amazing friend. This Troy was sexy, passionate, and still sweet. She loved both Troys, and knew that there couldn't be one with out the other.

They had been through so much together, more than anyone had asked for in a lifetime. Gabriella looks up into his face that was so relaxed and stares into it. He had the same features that he did when he was fourteen years old, like the bright blue eyes, the small nose, and the bright white smile that was worth a million dollars, but they were so much older now. Things had changed so much since he was fourteen, and Gabriella knew it all started with the day her dad died. She sighs again and snuggles further into Troy's chest, letting the memory cloud around her as her eyes shut remembering the thought that she always tried to avoid.

She could feel the tears fall down her face like acid pouring onto concrete. Her body was shaking, but she was silent. Her body was physically tired of sobbing, so now there were only silent tears. The world wasn't fair. God was punishing her, he had to be. There was no other feeling like this in the world. It was as if someone stuck a bomb in her stomach and let it explode, and now she was sitting there with the aftermath. Twenty-four hours ago, her world was turned upside down. Twenty-four hours ago, someone decided to cut out her heart and grab a knife and stab it over and over again. Twenty-four hours ago, Jose Montez died.

Her body was rocking back and forth slowly on her bed. Her mother was still at the hospital, probably still sobbing over her father's dead body. Gabriella hadn't said a word since the doctors told them. All she had done was sob. Sob with her mother. Sob with her grandparents. Sob with Mrs. Bolton and Coach Bolton. Sob with everyone. Now, Mrs. Bolton was downstairs, probably still crying, watching her since her mother was still at the hospital, and someone had to be with her. Coach Bolton was going to get Troy from his grandparents since they didn't want to leave him by himself when Gabriella's father had to go to the hospital two days ago when he fainted. Then a mere twenty-two hours later, Gabriella's dad took his last breath on earth.

Her body was numb. She was almost like a time bomb that was ticking. Her emotions wouldn't be able to stay in forever, but it felt good just not to say a word. Her eyes were bloodshot and swollen as she continued to rock on her bed with her mind eating away. It was almost as if every inch of warmness was sucked from her body. She closes her eyes and her body starts to shake again. The last words she ever said at home to him were 'you ruin everything.' But he didn't! She loved him more then anything. He was her father, and nothing would take away from that.