0.12 r|l

j e n n i f e r

IT was the third ring of the doorbell that encouraged Jennifer to answer the door, her eyes still heavy with sleep.

She rubbed her eyes, and aimlessly fumbled with the handle, opening the front door blankly.

A smile pulled on her lips as she saw Lucas stood in her porch,
but it faded slightly as he pushed past her into her house.

"Hey-" Jen tucked her hands into her sleeves, and wrapped her arms around him in a hug.

"Is your phone broken?" He mumbled into her hair, pulling away slightly.

Jennifer frowned, turning her head to look at him.

"You've been ignoring my texts." He stated blatantly, his expression unreadable.

Jennifer stepped back, a hot wave of anger boiling through her veins.

Sebastian.

"He didn't tell you, then." She mumbled to herself, but Lucas just scowled, his jaw hanging open.

"Who's he?" He demanded, and Jennifer cursed under her breath.

"Right, okay, Lucas just listen, I-"

He narrowed his eyes at her, cutting her off.

"Are you cheating on me?"

Jennifer's eyes widened as large as saucers, and she shook her head furiously.

"No! No of course not, I would never-"

"What's going on then?!" He shouted, making Jennifer jump.

She leapt back, flinching. He sighed in frustration, crossing his arms tightly across his chest.

"You have to believe me with this one, okay?" Jennifer spoke carefully, unable to predict his emotions.

Lucas nodded, so she continued.

"This isn't my phone."

Jennifer held up Sebastian's phone, and Lucas eyed it sternly.

"It's Sebastian Stan's."

Lucas scoffed, and rolled his eyes.

"So, does that mean Sebastian Stan, the fucking celebrity, has yours?"

Jennifer nodded. "I know it sounds crazy, but-"

He let out a rough laugh, running a hand through his hair.

"That's your excuse?" He pulled his jacket on, but Jennifer wasn't going to let him leave.

"No, we must've switched at the signing, Lucas, I'm being serious!"

But he just shook his head, biting his lip.

"I don't want to know, Jen."

Jennifer rushed after him as he made his way out, her eyes watering.

"Lucas, please!" She screamed, but he carried on down the path.

"Call me when you're done playing games." Lucas called out behind him, before ducking into his car.

Jennifer watched as her boyfriend sped off down the road.

He didn't even give her a chance to explain.

Lucas would have understood if Sebastian had told him straight up that it was him.

Once the first tear broke, the rest followed in an unbroken stream. Jennifer bent forward from where she had collapsed to the floor, and pressed her palms to the laminate decking. She began to cry with the same force of a person vomiting on all fours.

Her lungs rummaged for oxygen, her throat burning from the strained sobs she was choking on.

She didn't want it to be over, not this quickly.

A whole year worth of relationship doesn't end as easily as that.

It couldn't, could it?

---