0.56 r|l

j e n n i f e r

"YOU GET EGGS, I'LL GET APPLES." Jennifer instructed, grabbing a basket from the door of the supermarket and pointing the correct aisle out to Sebastian.

"You're really going to trust me with eggs?" He shot her a skeptical look, and her eyes were drawn to the faint smirk pulling at his lips.

"I trusted you with my phone, didn't I?"

He nodded with a laugh, digging his hands into the pockets of his leather jacket.

"And I managed to crack it."

Jen paused, turning to Sebastian with a pout.
"Don't be a chicken, Sebbums."

She continued forward with her basket with a smirk, but she heard Sebastian laughing behind her.

"Fine, but only because you look damn hot in that dress."

He gave her a quick wink before he sauntered off, his comment making the blood rise to her cheeks and the warmth in her body to spread like wildfire.

Her eyes were glued to him as he disappeared into an aisle, completely frozen to the spot with an enormous smile on her face.

She instantly looked down at what she was wearing, smoothing down the hem of her skirt proudly. She was clothed in an old, tatty thing that she had thrown on quickly that morning. It fitted well, maybe a tad on the small side, but it was definitely the most comfortable dress she owned.

She bit her lip, trying to suppress her excitement. She quickly shook her head, gripping the shopping basket tighter as she scurried off towards the fruit stalls.

---

Plucking a few rosy apples from the shelves, she tried to ignore the familiar twisting feeling in her stomach.

Sebastian made her so happy, and he didn't even know it. Heck, he probably wasn't even trying.

Suddenly she felt two comforting arms wrap around her waist from behind, and a small laugh escaped her lips.

"Seb what are you-" She turned her head to look at him, but her words got caught.

It wasn't Sebastian.

"Hey babe, you were the last person I thought I'd run into today."

Jennifer instantly retorted and pushed herself away from Lucas, clutching her basket tightly.

"Whoa, now. Jen listen," He grabbed her arm as she tried to get away, pulling her back into him.

"Leave me alone," She struggled against his grip, a few people around them staring at the commotion.

"Seriously, Jen, what's happened to you?" Lucas spoke incredulously, and she scoffed at his remark.

"Something great, for a fucking change!" She spat, gritting her teeth. She twisted her arm forcefully, escaping from his hold. She instantly turned away, smoothing her hair down.

"Don't expect me to let you in when you come running back." He called out to her, making her turn her head.

"What?"

Lucas sighed, taking a few steps forward.
"You want to be with him, I get it."

Jennifer's breath got caught in her throat. Sebastian?

"But, Jen. He's a celebrity. Everything he does is for publicity. He doesn't love you like I do."

He smiled sadly at her, but the hot anger washed through her body like a tsunami.

"You don't know that-" She started, but she was cut off by Lucas holding her arm gently.

"You heard about him and Leighton, right?" Jennifer shook her head, curious.

"He was with Leighton, then you came into the picture. And as soon as someone else comes along, he'll leave you like he left her. You don't mean anything to him, Jenny."

Jennifer felt her heart clenching, a small tear rolling down her cheek at his words.

"No-" She whined, her lip trembling.

"Jennifer, come back to me. I won't leave you."

Her mind instantly clicked, her frustration snapping.

"You already did." She growled, spinning on her heel and rushing away.

With every step away from Lucas she took, her anger soon turned to doubt.

What if it was true? Something inside her wanted to believe him, it made sense after all. But he didn't seem like the person to do such a thing, did he?

She hugged her arm tightly across her chest, biting her lip to calm the silent war in her mind.

"Hey, Jen, let me help," She snapped out of her daze to find Sebastian gently placing the eggs in the basket, before taking it from her. Her arm instantly relaxed from the weight of the shopping, and she sighed, avoiding Sebastian's eye.

"You okay?" He asked her, picking up on her silence.

She nodded and pushed a smile. He returned it with a grin, making her heart lift a little in her chest.

She didn't want him to leave her.

Even if he didn't return her feelings, she still wanted him around.

She refused to believe that he would leave when someone prettier came along, which she knew would be soon.

Lucas was wrong.

He is always, and will forever be wrong.

Jennifer knew that.

---

I'm a horrible person