chapter 1

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are beginning our descent into London, England. We will land in about fifteen minutes so please fasten your seat belts and turn your devices off. Thank you for flying with British Airways. Have a wonderful rest of your morning." 

I pulled one earbud out at the sound of the pilot on the speaker and put it back in once he was finished. I stretched my legs in my seat and lifted the cover on the window, looking out into the sky. I could see London come into view through the clouds and I leaned back in my seat, preparing for the plane to land. I just wanted to get out of this seat that I had been stuck in for the past thirteen hours. Ed Sheeran's voice floated through my head phones and I momentarily closed my eyes, checking the time. It was only three in the morning here and I had to catch my train in two and a half hours

The plane eventually landed and I tried to get off as quick as I could, not wanting to get lost and miss my train. I grabbed my bag from the over head and slung it over my shoulder, adjusting my beanie as I walked through the airport to baggage claim. I stood by the belt and waited for my black suitcase to roll around, tapping my foot out of impatience. I finally spotted it and lugged it off of the belt, heading outside to find a cab. I easily flagged one down because of how early it was and told him Kings Cross Station, sitting back in the seat. My dad had sent me a bunch of pounds so I didn't have to worry about money transfer until a few days after I settled in. 

"Thirty pounds, please." The driver said, stopping in front of the train station. 

I handed him thirty five and got out, grabbing my suitcase from the trunk, walking inside and out of the rain. I pulled my ticket out of my purse and headed over to the line, trying to find the right one. I let the man scan my ticket and went through security before attempting to locate the correct platform. I was supposed to be at thirteen but there were no signs. I furrowed my eyebrows and headed in a random direction, figuring that I would find it eventually. It took about thirty minutes, but I found the platform and an empty bench. I plopped down and took a deep breath, leaning my head back on the wall. 

"Let me guess." I turned to my right at a voice. "You're from the states?" The guy who looked to be my age said and I hesitated to answer. 

"Um, yeah." I stumbled over my words. "How did you know that?" 

"You just look American." He shrugged, a dimple appearing on his cheek and I slowly nodded, turning away. "What brings you to the wonderful world of Holmes Chapel?" 

"Why does that matter to you?" I retorted and he smirked, brushing the brown curly hair out of his eyes. 

"Just making friendly conversation." The guy replied and I just looked back to the train tracks, ready to get on and sleep until I got to Holmes Chapel. 

The guy finally left me alone and went back to stand with his friends, their loud talking echoing off of the walls. I rolled my eyes and put my headphones back in, leaning back against the brick wall. After about half an hour, the train pulled up and I waited until people got off to get onto the train. I found my seat and put my bag in the seat next to me since nobody else was there and rested my head against the window, watching the train roll out of the station. I closed my eyes as exhaustion flowed through me and finally fell asleep. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Samantha!" I turned around to see Dad waiting by the door and I slowly walked over, rolling my suitcase behind me. 

"Hi, Dad." I said and he pulled me into an awkward side hug, taking my suitcase. 

We walked out of the train station and to his beyond fancy car, making me inwardly groan. I climbed into the passenger seat after putting my stuff in the trunk and buckled up, sitting awkwardly. We rode in complete silence as Dad drove and I felt anxiety brew in my stomach the closer we got to his house. My breath hitched at the sight of a huge mansion that he parked in front of and I slowly got out of the car, getting my suitcase.