chapter 40

"Babe, there's a letter here for you." Harry called out, walking inside and I got up, heading to the kitchen. 

He handed me a letter and I furrowed my eyebrows at the return address, my stomach falling. It was from Wandsworth Prison. That's where my dad was. I shakily ripped it open and read the letter, a hand coming up to my mouth at the words. He was getting let out. No, no, no. This can't be happening. He was supposed to be in prison for fifteen years. 

"What is it?" Harry asked and I shook my head. 

"He's getting let out. My dad is being released tomorrow." I stumbled over my words and Harry frowned, grabbing the letter from my to read. 

"What the fuck? He should be there for another ten years." 

I nodded, my mind racing. I felt my hands begin to shake as panic coursed through my body, tears welling up in my eyes. I sat down on the counter chair, threading my fingers through my hair and leaning my elbows on the counter. This cannot be happening. I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping that this was all some nightmare and everything was going to be fine. Nothing is fine. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Haz, what do you want for dinner?" I called out, hearing the front door open and shut. "Harry?" 

"You should really learn to lock your door." My whole body froze at the familiar voice and I shakily stood up from the couch, walking into the kitchen. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked, watching my dad swing a knife around. 

"Can I not pay my daughter a visit?" He said, stepping closer. 

I made the brash decision to turn around and run to try and get to the back yard. I wasn't quick enough, though, because he grabbed my and held the knife to my throat making tears fill my eyes. I stopped moving, not wanting him to kill me, and he gripped my ponytail, dragging me down the hallway. He stopped at the guest room and pulled me in, pushing me to the ground after harshly slapping me on the face. A small sob left my lips and I knew what was going to happen because he unbuckled his belt as he kicked me in the stomach. 

"Please stop." I sobbed and he rolled his eyes, keeping the knife on my stomach. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sam?" My eyes opened and closed slowly as I heard someone call my name. "Sam, you home?" 

I heard footsteps so I turned my head, tears dripping from my eyes and onto the bed sheets underneath me. I was in so much pain and I couldn't even call Harry's name to come help me. There were footsteps coming down the hallway and they passed the guest room before coming back. The door was pushed open and I heard Harry say my name as he came over to me, his eyes wide. 

"Oh my god, what happened?" He asked and I shook my head, more tears spilling onto the bed. "I'm gonna fucking kill him." 

Harry grabbed his phone and called the police, telling them that we needed an ambulance and I broke out crying again, thinking about having to go through all of this again. I looked down and saw all of the small cuts on my stomach from his knife and the two long ones just above my breasts. Harry took off his jacket and put it over me, grabbing my hand. I flinched away and his face fell and I tried to stop crying, squeezing my eyes shut. 

I knew there were bruises on my neck from where he squeezed and a cut on my cheek. I could feel the blood dripping down and after a bit, there were sirens coming to the house and Harry picked me up, carrying me outside to the ambulance that was in front of the house. I flinched away as the medic took the jacket off of me and there were a couple police who were women in the car with us to take my statement.