chapter 19

"I need a drink." I mumbled to Aria as we sat in art and she smiled. 

"There is a party tonight at Zayn's. We can go." I nodded and sighed in content, ready to just get drunk and chill out for a bit. 

Aria and I made a plan to meet at my house at seven and we would get dinner beforehand so we weren't drinking on an empty stomach. I got up as the bell rang and headed to my locker, getting all the stuff to do homework this weekend. I pulled on a jacket and walked outside to Louis's car since he was giving me a ride home. He smiled and pulled out of the parking lot, heading in the direction of my house. 

"You going to Zayn's tonight?" I asked and he nodded, turning the radio down. 

"Yeah, I'm about to get fucked up." He laughed and I did too, adjusting my glasses. 

He dropped me off and I thanked him for the ride, going inside. Dad was home so I took my stuff upstairs, not bothering to talk to him. I guess his vacation ended early. I put my things away and shut my blinds, climbing into bed. I was so tired from everything that has happened this week and I needed a nap. I closed my eyes and curled up in the covers, finally drifting off. 

"Sam!" I slowly opened my eyes, noticing that it was six o'clock and Dad was banging on my door. "What are you doing in there?" He came in and rolled his eyes, making me sit up. "Do you do anything except sleep?"

"Sorry." I mumbled and got up. 

"What are you doing tonight?" He wondered and I rubbed my eyes. 

"Hanging out with some friends." I answered, confused as to why he was asking. "I thought you were on vacation for three weeks." 

"Me and Ginny broke up." He said and I nodded, looking anywhere but him. 

"Sorry." I muttered. 

"Is that all you ever say?" Dad laughed and I looked at him in confusion. "Just like your mother. Nothing but apologies." 

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You never own up to anything. You just apologize and act like everything is fine. I should have left you guys sooner." He said and I felt my face fall at his words. "I had jobs lining up and women begging me to leave my wife. I have no clue why I didn't. You all just held me back. Once I found out your mother had cancer, I knew it was the perfect time to leave." 

"You knew she had cancer?" My voice broke and Dad humorlessly laughed. I caught a whiff of his breath and now realized that he was drunk. 

"Of course I knew. Who do you think paid for the hospital bills? It was too much work. I had better things here." Dad said and I wanted to cry at his words. 

"You're such an ass." I said, not caring that it was harsh and Dad furrowed his eyebrows, stepping towards me. 

"What did you just call me?" He narrowed his eyes and I gulped. 

"I said you are an ass. You're a shit father and I wish I had never come he-" I was cut off by a sharp slap to the cheek. 

I let out a breath as Dad retracted his hand, not even seeming phased. I put a hand to my cheek as it stung and tears filled my eyes at the thought of what had just happened. Dad left my room and I shut and locked the door behind me, my breathing labored. I can't believe he just hit me. I went to the bathroom and tried to stop my hands from shaking so much. I wiped my eyes and noticed a bruise beginning to form on my cheek as the redness disappeared. 

I got my makeup out and took a deep breath, dabbing concealer on my face to cover up the purple mark. I got it all covered up and did my eye makeup, keeping it simple and quick. Aria was coming early and I was happy to just get out of the house. I changed my clothes and ran downstairs, going out the door to her car. I got in and let out a breath that I didn't even know I was holding in.