chapter 23

"Hey, girly!" I smiled at the sound of Aria's voice over the phone. "What's up?"

"Nothing. Just chillin." I shrugged to myself and pulled my knees to my chest. "What about you?"

"Waiting on Liam to finish a test. My car is broken so he's taking me home." I laughed a little as she sighed. "Landon said you had a new phone number." 

"This isn't my phone." I hesitated and she hummed in question. "I don't have my phone where I am." 

"Oh no service?" She asked and I sighed to myself. 

"I'm not home." I said quietly. "I got admitted to rehab a month ago." 

"What?" Aria's voice faltered and I sighed to myself. "What happened?" I stayed silent, giving her her answer and Aria lightly gasped. "Sam, no." 

"It's fine." I whispered. "I'm fine." I partly said that to reassure myself. 

"How?" She wondered and I ran a hand through my hair. 

"Pills." I mumbled and she sighed again. 

"Why didn't you tell me? Does Harry know?" 

"I didn't want you guys worrying. I just had Landon tell Harry that I got my phone taken away." I took a deep breath, trying to compose myself. "But, I get to go home in a few days. I'll call him once I'm home." 

I hung up with Aria a few minutes later since Liam was back with her and she didn't want him to ask questions. I didn't ask her not to tell any of them but I had a feeling she would keep it a secret. I got up from my chair in the common area and headed back to my room, noticing my daily medicine on my bedside table. I took it and sat down, sighing to myself. Thinking about the last month, I closed my eyes, lying back on the uncomfortable bed. 

Leila's harsh words played through my mind as I drove home and I tried to keep my tears at bay, biting my thumb as I rested my elbow on the windowsill. I eventually got to Landon's house and parked in the driveway, heading inside. I walked to my room and shut the door, wincing as the sound cut the silence of the house. I shook my hands out and tried to get the voices in my head to stop. 

Tears filled my eyes and I gripped the end of the bed frame, rocking back and forth. I bent down and rested my forehead on the wood, taking deep and shaky breaths. I got up and went into the bathroom, rummaging through the cabinet under the sink. I eventually found a bottle of pills from when Landon got his wisdom teeth out. It was super strong pain medicine and he never took any of it so the bottle was full. I stared down at the orange bottle and it was like my brain would not stop. I sat on the edge of the bath tub and jumped as my phone started ringing. 

"Sam, what are you doing?" I heard Landon say as soon as I picked up. 

"I got sick so I came home." I mumbled, taking a deep breath. 

"I'm serious. Jake called me. Where are you?" I listened as it sounded like he got in a car. 

"I don't want to be here anymore." I said, unscrewing the cap on the pills. "It's like everywhere I go, there is someone talking about me or looking at me. All because I'm the girl with a dead mom and a father that raped me. The first two times, it hasn't worked, maybe three is what it will take." 

I rambled my words and I heard Landon say something but I just hung up my phone, throwing it on the ground. Tears dripped down my face as I poured pills into my hand and I stared down at them, taking deep breaths. I got up and got some water, beginning to swallow pills. All of the sudden, the bathroom door was pushed open, Landon coming in with a heaving chest. His face fell before he stepped towards me, trying to get the pills away from me.