Trust? No... (v.2.0)

The next day...

"Wait wait! Hold on! So you're saying that Urie actually attacked you?!" Levi gasped as she walked along the corridor with me.

"I think so... I can't really explain it that well. It felt like my mind was playing tricks on me. He cornered me in the dark somewhere... but then... I realised I was in the corridor. And he wasn't there anymore..." I told her.

"Hm... you sure it wasn't just some crazy dream?" Levi asked.

"Nope. It was definitely real... I still have the stamp of insecurity the headmaster so kindly threw at me after a teacher found me yesterday," I mentioned, recalling the nervous chills that ran through me while the headmaster yelled at me for what seemed like hours.

Honestly, it felt like every word he launched my way was a rock of insult crashing down on me.

"I was wondering where you'd gone off to! So you got in trouble?" Levi asked.

"We won't speak of it..." I shivered.

"Hm! I told you those Devils would try and hurt you! Look, if you don't find the grimoire soon then those evil creatures will use it to destroy not only you but all the vampires! You've got to be more careful about all this, (nickname). I couldn't bear to see you get hurt," Levi told me.

"I know. But don't worry! From what Hikaru told me the other day, there's no need for me to further investigate them. For you see(!), Ritsuka is the key to activating the power of the forbidden grimoire! That, I've confirmed through my investigating! I've noticed a strange aura coming from her and the devils are getting closer to her too so it makes sense to assume that they know too. So since I can't exactly get close enough to take it from her, me and Hikaru agreed I wouldn't interfere any further and they'd go after her instead," I revealed.

"You're... putting her in danger?" Levi expressed sympathy.

"Uh... well, yeah. It's not like I have much choice..." I murmured, diverting my gaze shamefully.

"You know, those vampires are the ones who rejected you. I don't think you should trust them, (y/n). I mean, what if they plan on disposing of you once they've obtained the power to win the war?!" Levi panicked.

"... to be honest, that's what I'm expecting..." I admitted.

Levi gasped to my calm tone.

"... I've always just been a disposable pawn they can toy with... I knew that from the start. It's not like anyone sees any real value in me... and it's not like I'm in any position to rebel..." I told her, eyes dropping to the floor.

...

I sensed the mood had darkened.

"Uh! A-and anyway! If I don't do something to stop the Devils from getting to the grimoire first then they'll use it to kill me and threaten the vampires! There's just too many wars going on right now. Besides, the vampires and I have our compromises. I do my work here in the human world and they provide money for the life that they've forced me to live. They'll probably just kill me if I betrayed them. Even the demons threatened to kill me but in the end, just left me to rot here instead," I complained.

"But in the end, does it really even matter?! Either way, there's no real certainty on if you'll survive! The vampires could dispose of you any time they wanted and the devils might be out to get you too just for working with them! There's just no escape! It's like you're being trapped behind walls, waiting to be eaten alive. I can't even begin to imagine what that must be like..." Levi went on.

"I know... but-"

"(Y/n), please report to the third library," a student interrupted.

"Wait what?! Again?! Nuh Uh!! Tell Rem to suck it!! I ain't doing that again!!" I suddenly yelled far too aggressively, pointing my finger out to the student.