Exposed (v.2.0)

Shiki pulled me to the school garden and stopped behind one of the rose bushes.

He knelt down, hand still linked to mine as he looked about him from the edge of the bush.

I crouched down behind him, kinda feeling bad for ditching Levi...

"We'll wait here for a second. Then I can teleport us out of here when I'm certain no one's watching," he informed me.

My eyes gently rested on our linked hands. It's so warm... but.... it must hurt to hold mine with all his injuries.

"Uh. (Y/n)?" Shiki's gaze drew back to me as he noticed I was examining his hand with a blush.

"... does it feel that good?" I wondered, referring to the pain of his cuts.

Shiki hesitated a reply.

"... well, it's not really about it feeling good..." he mumbled with a distant expression.

....

The whole world seemed to stop as both my hands clung onto his scratched one. A blush formed as I thought about how something so soft and fragile would soon be destroyed. There are so many other things he could use these precious hands for... like... holding mine...

"Why did you stick up for me back there?" I asked, forgetting his answer wouldn't necessarily be truthful.

"They were displaying revolting behaviour. If I didn't shut them up, I may have thrown up! Besides... no one insults my (y/n) and gets away with it," he gently leant his hand onto my cheek as if to try and comfort me and let me know he was there.

"But... what about your reputation? You know how much trouble you'll get in if she really tells Rem about this? There wasn't any need to go so far," I told him.

"Aww. It's so adorable you think that was going far for me. Hmhm~ I could've done a lot more to humiliate and torture her. But I fear if I did... you may even be scared of me, ah-hah hah!" he laughed with such a carefree tone.

"And anyway... you were almost in tears..." he mentioned.

"... you're precious to me, (y/n). I won't ever let anyone make you cry. If they did, they would pay dearly one way or another," he added.

I couldn't speak. I couldn't... think. He's lying! He.... please, he has to be! I can't take this for much longer... how can something so sweet be a lie?! Please be a lie... I beg for this to be just a cruel manipulation. If not... if.... if not... how can I ever forgive myself for what I'm about to do...?

"Speaking of making people pay! Let's go hunt down those vampires, yeah?" he stood up, offering me his hand to help me get up.

I accepted it, knowing it's the last bit of help he'll be giving me...

"Heheheh... oh, I just can't wait! I may have to ask you to close your eyes when we're there, you know, (y/n). I might go a little crazy, haha!" Shiki giggled to himself with a mischievous grin.

"So! Whereabouts should I take us?" Shiki asked.

.... should I lie?

...

No... that's not a choice I have to make...

"The woods south of the village... by the river, if you can. I can take you the rest of the way..." I told him with regret.

"You got it!" he whipped his wings out and took me away to the woods near the vampires' castle.

"Agh!" I clumsily fell forward into the grass when we landed.