24.Our Day of Love

Aroma's funeral was almost a riot. It turns out that Aroma was from a nearby tribe and she was from a well-respected family. After her infidelity, the village by tradition shaved her head and cast her out. A baldhead is the worst thing that can happen to a woman here. Thus, Aroma was too ashamed to go home. Aroma had ever since worked against all the odds for Kreacher. And there hadn't been one soul to support her while she was alive. Now that she is dead, her native tribe is accusing the people here for killing Aroma. And blame turned into argument and argument almost broke into a riot.

But then Ruma's father stepped in with peace offering. The common peace offering was a marriage agreement between the two tribes. It was like trading women for peace. And this time Ruma was the pig to be slaughtered. Timber john the other tribe's son was the butcher. He was wild and the rumor was he was Kreacher's father. He was spoilt and exploited women carelessly. For which, he was considered dominant. When the women were raped, their heads would be shaved to deem them impure. No one married them after that. However, the male gets to walk away with pride. And Timber was responsible for many baldheads. But, in the recent years like all the tribes they attained moral too. To be specific when Ruma was born, her father realised the atrocities done against woman are applicable to his daughter too. So he took the step to punish the men who commit such crimes. Ever since then men never revealed their sins to public. That does not mean the atrocities have stopped. Knowing his nature, Ruma was disgusted by the proposal. Ruma blinked like a deer struck in the headlight. Ruma looked at the crowd. Her eyes moved to Ehsaan. To Hifza's irritation her eyes lingered at Ehsaan. Then she swept her eyes to a furious Ryder. Her face cleared suddenly.

"No" she declared.

"I don't want to marry him" she declared firmly staring at her father. To Ruma's surprise her father relaxed. Her father was a rather protective man, but he was a noble head too. So he only offered the olive branch for the village's peace. Ryder grinned as an encouragement.

"You are just a lady. So play the part and obey the elders" spat a very intoxicated Timber. He has two minions to back him up with everything. And the dim goons just laughed insultingly.

"Mind your own buisness" Ruma gritted out before Ryder could jump in and defend her.

"It is my business. Will bash your face to put you in your place. Hear me. You filthy.." Timber charged at her. But, before the guy could finish Ehsaan and Ryder took him by each side in a wise grip. Seeing this, the two minions charged at them. Before the situation could get out of hand Ruma's father intervened.

"Enough, enough" he roared pulling them to a halt.

"You," he pointed at Timber.

"I wont marry my daughter to you" he barked.

"And now to teach you respect, apologize to her" he ordered with such a power, Timber had no thought of disobeying.

"Sorry" he mumbled humiliated and left angry. The crowd broke into whispers. People attacked the head for raising a disrespectful daughter. They blamed her studies for that. They blamed him for damaging a man's pride for a petty woman. But they didn't dare raise it to the head. Because they knew he was right.

"Marriage is not possible this time. I wouldn't recommend such a husband for any women much less my daughter. So as a peace offering we do this year's harvest together and share our grains equally. Do you all agree?" He proposed with power. After a lots of murmurs, the crowd agreed. Some reluctantly and some excitedly. Thus the crowd dispersed slowly. And Hifza and Ehsaan walked away side by side. There Timber was kicking things around in rage. When he saw Ehsaan, his temper flared further more.

"You" he called to Ehsaan.

"Watch out and that Bitch too" Hifza raised her eyes at Ehsaan with humor in her eyes. Ehsaan just shrugged and they walked away without giving much thought.

"Hey Ehsaan" Ruma called out and the couple turned around.

"Thanks for having my back" she told with a star struck eyes.

"I was watching your back too" Ryder joined them and flickered Ruma's head.

"You were supposed to" she said without hesitation as if she belonged to him. This made Ryder's heart flutter or it did not.

"But he didn't have too" Ruma was all-mellow when she addressed Ehsaan which irritated the other three.

"I would have done it for any other women. So don't mention" Ehsaan said and walked away. This made Ryder laugh. Ruma stomped her feet and walked away. Ryder adjusted Kreacher in his shoulders and followed Ruma laughing.

"Hey, Ehsaan thanks for having my back" Hifza immitated Ruma trying to be funny.

"Wow. You are jealous. Are you turning into a woman, Hifza?" Ehsaan teased coming out of the previous discomfort.

"Oh please" Hifza tried to brush off and walked past him.

"Hey" he called out grinning.

"Would have broken his nose if it had been you," Ehsaan declared with sincerity.

"Whatever" Hifza mumbled. But she turned hastily to hide the smile that broke out. Ehsaan teased her all the way home seeing the smile.