TSL 21: The Truth

HINDI ko matanggap na nagawa niya iyon sa'kin. Nagmukha akong tanga.

"Hanggang kailan mo balak paglamayan ang video na 'yan?" It's Ate Bridgette. Tiningnan ko siya sandali at ibinalik ulit ang tingin ko sa laptop.

"Hayaan mo na ako, Ate."

"Hayaan? Hayaan kitang lunurin ang sarili mo dahil lang sa walang katuturang bagay? Gano'n? You're being irrational, Bryce! Bakit mo pa pinapanood nang paulit-ulit ang video na 'yan kung nasasaktan ka?"

I turned silent. I don't know. I don't understand myself why I keep watching that video over and over again. It's the video clip from the CCTV camera at the mansion.

Hinilot ko ang sintido ko. I'm starting to feel the familiar dizziness again.

"Paano niya nagawa sa'kin 'yon, Ate? Paano niya nagawang lokohin ako?"

"I told you, kausapin mo siya, 'di ba? Alam nating pareho na hindi niya ginustong gawin 'yon. The video obviously shows it's Clinton who initiated the whole thing! God! Grow up, Bryce! Masyado kang nabubulag ng galit mo! Kahit maikli na panahon lang kami nagkasama ni Gold, I know she cannot do that to you."

"But she let Clinton do that to her, Ate! She let him! It's a different thing. And why didn't she tell me about it when she really did not mean that, huh? She chose to keep it and did not intend to tell me, forever."

Mali bang iniwanan ko siya kahit masyadong masakit ang ginawa niya? Ang ginawa nila? Pinagmukha nila akong tanga!

"I don't know, Bryce. Isa lang ang sigurado ako, mahal ka niya. Nakita ko 'yon sa mga mata niya 'nong nasa mansyon tayo."

"She's a pretender. Huwag kang magpapaniwala sa mga ipinakita niya, Ate. It was all a lie. Bakit mo ba siya ipinagtatanggol? She lied to us. She lied about her identity. I should know her better. A pretender."

Ate Bridgette stared at me with dagger look. I fizzled out and continued drinking from the bottle. "Tell me Bryce, do you really love her?"

Yes. I love her. No doubt about that. But that love cannot subside what I feel right now. My heart is girded with excruciating tips of invisible needles. This is the first time in my whole life to feel this kind of pain, and it's getting unbearable each day without her.

"Hindi ka makasagot kasi mahal mo nga siya."

"Leave me alone, Ate." I hissed. But the next thing she said before leaving, awaken a certain part of me.

"Kahit kapatid kita, hindi kita kukonsintihin. Ang laki mong tanga para pakawalan siya, Bryce. Sana hindi ka magsisi sa huli."

Nagkamali ba ako sa pagtaboy sa kanya? My heart twinge in pain. I shouldn't be feeling this way. We're over. At kahit kailan hinding-hindi na maibabalik pa ang tiwala ko sa babaeng 'yon.

I didn't mind knowing she's a Mijares. But I cannot the bear the pain she caused when she let my retard cousin do that to her.

I was too infallible with her love for me. Not until I saw the video that swiftly overthrown all my surmise.

Does she think I wouldn't find out about it? Thanks to Nanay Divina for giving me the video. I was the one who printed those pictures and left it on the table inside the fastfood. I was there before she came. I was there watching her reaction. I saw how her face formed a horror.

I didn't regret everything I've said to her. She deserved those pain. She doesn't deserve my love. She doesn't.

But why do I feel empty? Why does my heart throbbed when I saw her crying?

No. Maybe I was just hurt when I found out the truth behind her angelic face.

"Uncle?" My thoughts dropped back to the present when I heard a flat, thin voice behind. I immediately closed the laptop when I saw Xanley coming in.

"Why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be sleeping in your room, now?" I asked and gestured him to sit in front of me.

"I heard Mom scolding you. Nag-away ba talaga kayo ni Miss Beautiful?" His innocent question made me remember her face again.

"Usapang pang-matanda lang 'yon. Matulog ka na."

"Nine years old na po ako, matanda na ako. Hindi ko na ba talaga siya ulit makikita, Uncle?"

"Ang kulit mo. Matulog ka na."

"Ang kulit mo din, Uncle! Sagutin mo muna kasi ang tanong ko."

"Tss."

"Inaway mo ba si Miss Beautiful? Hala! Bakit mo siya inaway, Uncle?"

"Hindi ko siya inaway. Siya ang umaway sa'kin."

"Weh? Di nga? Ang bait-bait kaya ni Miss Beautiful. Nami-miss ko na siya, Uncle!" Biglang uminit ang ulo ko kaya tiningnan ko siya nang masama.

"You are not entitled to miss her. Ako lang ang puwedeng maka-miss sa kan--" I was halted when he stared at me teasingly.

"See? Nami-miss mo din pala siya eh bakit mo inaway? Ang gulo mong kausap, Uncle Bryce!"

"Tsk! Annoying creature. Matulog ka na nga do'n!"

"Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Sayang talaga! Bakit mo kasi siya inaway? Wala nang manlilibre ng Cheesy Bacon Mushroom Yum Burger at Champ sa'kin! Umuwi ka na do'n sa condo mo! Naiirita akong makita ka dito sa bahay namin!" He said stomping his feet while walking out of the door, slamming it close behind.

I'm sorry kiddo, but she is not what you think she is. We both fell on her trap.

I partly want to scold myself too. I wouldn't have been in this state if I didn't entertain her in the first place. I let my guard down.

* * *

I WOKE up a little bit fuddled the next morning. Still, I managed to make myself look impeccable. And another morning means another day to spend with endless reports and other papers that need my signature.

I chose to stay in Ate Bridgette's house instead of spending with myself alone in my pad. I'm trying to elude myself from remembering her, for every corner of my unit reminds me of her alluring face. What am I thinking?

I should heed to what I used to be. No stalker, no Gold Reign, no love-- Stop it, Bryce!

I gave myself a final look in the mirror before I stormed out of the guestroom. I tried not to make any unnecessary sound. Xanley might nag at me again if he ever see me.

I was in the last step of the staircase when I saw the most annoying creature I ever known in my whole life. Scratch that. He is the last person I ever wanted and wished to see.

I felt the brisk circulation of my blood through every strip of my veins. His mere presence frantically infuriated me that in just few seconds, I found myself grabbing his collar and punched him to his face.

"IKAW?"

"Bryce! Clinton! Stop it!" I was about to punch him again but Ate Bridgette shield herself around him.

"Ang kapal ng mukha mong magpakita rito!"

"What a hard welcome I got from you, Couz! Hindi ka na naawa sa'kin. Napuruhan na nga ako ng matandang Mijares na 'yon, dinagdagan mo pa. Tsk!"

Just then, I noticed the violet circles below his eyes and his swollen lips. Serves him right. But it doesn't lessen the fury I'm feeling right now.

"You deserved it!"

"Bryce! I said, stop it! Baka maabutan kayo ng asawa ko."

"Bakit ba kasi ako ang sinisisi n'yo eh inutusan lang naman ako ni Nanay Divina na gawin 'yon?!"

I felt horrified with his revelation. 

-GREATFAIRY