Chapter Eighteen

Percy's POV

"No! I'm not going to put my name in the stupid cup!" I yelled at two obviously annoyed wizards. It was the day before Halloween, you know, when the other two schools were going to be here, and Harry and Ron wouldn't stop bugging me. They've been trying all day to convince me to put my name in the Goblet of Fire. But here's the thing. I didn't need a bag of Galleons. Or honor. And I definitely didn't need fiasco like the one that had happened four years ago to Harry. Why did Dumbledore even let them hold it again after what had happened to Cedric? Another thing I don't need is more blood on my hands. 

"But Percy," Harry said, trying again, "You're probably the best candidate for the job. You're good with spells, you're great with physical fighting, and you're smart! Well, at least in battle you're smart, but that's still something!" I rolled my eyes at them, "Fine. I'll think about it." The pair let out cheers of victory. I glared at them, "I'm only thinking about it." Honestly, I was going to blow them off and not put my name in the cup, but it was the only way to get them off my back. "Aren't either of you two trying?" I asked, trying to get the topic of the conversation off of me. "Since I was the winner last time, I'm actually not allowed to compete this year," Harry said, "And even if I could, I wouldn't want to." It's not like I could blame him for trying to avoid disaster. I mean, I've gotten more than my fair share of it. Ron's eyes lit up, "I'm putting my name in the Goblet. I'm of age so now I'm allowed to." I rolled my eyes again. "Then why do you want more competition?" Ron shrugged, "It's not that I want competition, it's that I want a friend to try with me." I watched as Annabeth, Hermione, and Ginny walked up behind us. 

"Wise Girl," I whined, "Harry and Ron are trying to make me put my name in the Triangle Tournament cup." Annabeth rolled her eyes, "Percy, it's the Triwizard Tournament. And it's a Goblet. More specifically, the Goblet of Fire." I pouted at her, whining, "Well that just makes it worse! Why isn't it the Goblet of Water?" She just smiled at me. "Well, because there are goblets of water all over the tables when we eat. Try to be a little original, Seaweed Brain." I sighed, "But still. Should I really be doing this?" Annabeth tilted her head, her finger on her chin. "Actually, it's a pretty good idea. A great way to keep our minds sharp and our skills sharper." Harry and Ron nodded encouragingly and I faked a frown. "Come on, Wise Girl! You're supposed to have my back!" Annabeth just grinned and put her arms around my neck. "I will always have your back." She kissed me and I grinned stupidly at her. Harry and Ron gagged. "No snogging in the hallways, guys." Ron said, ruining a great moment. Harry smiled apologetically, "Sorry for hitting on Annabeth, Percy." I shrugged, "Please. I never doubted her. It's us against the world. Literally. We fought the world." Annabeth swatted my arm. 

I clapped my hands, "Alright, it's the weekend and I'm bored. Can we hit the lake?" Ginny shook her head, smiling happily. "Nope. Hate to break it to you, Percy, but it's a Hogsmeade weekend. Maybe we can swim in the lake never!" I tried and failed to stifle my laughter. "Hogsmeade? Please don't tell me that's a place." Hermione rolled her eyes, "I don't understand why this is all so funny to you. Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Death Eaters. What is your problem?" I snickered. "I haven't had very good experiences with pigs. You know, the flying pigs in Greek Mythology? Fought them. Not to mention the boar is Ares's sacred animals. But still. It's like this whole place is dedicated to the things. And Death Eaters? I met Thanatos in person, and trust me. You do not want to eat him." Luna came up from behind Ginny, "Stop confusing them. Not all of us are Annabeth-level smart." Ginny turned around and hugged her. "Luna's here," she stated, "So we can go." As we walked, I looked over at Luna, joking around with the other girls. "So, I've been meaning to ask you. How'd you get into our Potions class?" Annabeth's eyes widened, "That's right. Sometimes I forget that you're a year younger than us." Luna shrugged happily, "Dumbledore decided that I should be with people that are more my style."