Chapter Thirty Three

Harry's POV

Steven let out a cry of frustration as Festus curled around him, his bronze body pinning the son of Hades's arms to his sides.

"Maniae!" He shrieked desperately, "Attack!" All at once, the students of Hogwarts moved, shooting spells at demigods and gods alike.

Even Percy's eyes glazed back over so that he joined the fray, his wand in one hand and his sword in the other. Many of the spells simply fizzled out of existence against the god's skin, but Riptide and the elements were doing nothing to help Olympus.

It was a mess. Student after student fell in the Olympians' attempt to protect themselves without causing too many casualties. However, their efforts were in vain as they tried to stall Percy.

Professor Trelawney was right, all of those months ago. Percy might survive, but many around him would not. I watched Dean fall. I watched as Dennis Creevey and Padma Patil and Ernie MacMillan so many others that I had never learned the names of hit the ground, never to rise again.

Percy Jackson was a demon. Fire and lightning shot in all directions as water swirled around the throne room. It didn't only hurt gods, but knocked out many students as well.

They couldn't have known this day would come. The gods had figured that there would be no way in Elysium or Tartarus that Percy Jackson, their savior, would turn against them. They filled him with extraordinary powers to protect themselves. It had backfired, to say the least.

"What do we do?" I yelled at Annabeth over the fray, "We can't stop all of them!" She didn't respond, either because she was thinking or because she was trying to stop herself from getting knocked off her feet.

I approached Steven, who snarled at me. "You tricked me!" He screamed, "A ploy to make me stop my invasion. It didn't work, Potter! It won't work!"

I leapt back as he struggled toward me, his teeth bared. My back collided with another body, and I spun to face the new threat. It was Raydon. This could be a problem.

I was defenseless, having thrown away my wand to get Steven to trust me only moments ago. I remembered Percy's training in self defense class, but there were to many spells flying around to be able to dodge all of them.

"Raydon!" I called, hoping to break him out of his stupor, "It's me, Harry. Harry Potter? You know, I don't think Ginny would be too pleased if you killed me!" I yelped as he shot a stream of red and green spells at me. His attention was turned away from me as something struck him in the back, making him spin in anger.

I leaped right back into Steven, who was a bit tied up at the moment, but intimidating nonetheless.

I looked down as something hit my foot. My wand. Perfect. I turned to Steven.

"Get away from me, Potter! My invasion will not stop! Your trickery will not delay the inevitable!"

I didn't do it on purpose. Of course, he didn't know that. It was terrible timing. I had gotten him to see the light for a split second before he had been plunged back into darkness, deeper and even more ferociously than before.

Wait a minute.

Light.

That was Annabeth's reasoning. He was shadow. He had been saying it all along. The only thing that creates or destroys shadow is light. Otherwise everything is the pitch black darkness of night, and we can't have that.

That was why Festus was glowing so brightly. It rendered Steven powerless, but in order for him to control the Maniae, he would have to feed off of insanity and frenzy. None of my friends knew what they were doing. They felt only their vengeance upon the gods, a blurry idea in their head.