Chapter Thirty One

Well, this update took twice as long to get out so I made sure it was twice as long. Sorry about the wait, but PARCC has been PARCC backwards.

Hermione's POV

It was mid May and I would like to say that everything had gone back to normal. I wish I could say that Harry and Ron had apologized and that the entire school had accepted Percy as who he was only two months ago. But that would make me a liar. Exactly what Harry and Ron thought I was. And if there's one thing I've come to dread in the past month is prove them right.

Annabeth's visit to her cousin had been taking longer than expected. I hadn't been able to speak to her, but judging by her extended absence, she hadn't taken care of it yet. If there was one person that Percy needed more than ever it was her.

I looked up from my book as I bumped into someone in the corridor. It was Ron, and he was surprisingly alone. I didn't know where we stood. We had never officially broken up, but I we weren't on the best terms, and I wasn't sure I could deal with him right now. So I did the natural thing and tried to ignore the fact that I had just run into my boyfriend. Then again, it was Ron. So he did the natural thing and grabbed me by the elbow.

"Hermione," Ron said, stopping me in my tracks. "Wait."

I spun to face him. "Wait?" I asked quietly, "Isn't that all I've been doing these past months? Waiting? Waiting for you and Harry to come off your high horses and apologize?"

Ron bit his lip, running a hand through his red hair. "Harry and I have been waiting for the same thing from you."

I jerked my arm away from him, frowning. "Well the difference between you two pompous idiots and me is that I'm right about Percy Jackson."

He pulled a piece of parchment out of his pocket. "Harry doesn't know I'm doing this. But if you're going to spend all of your time with the traitor, I wanted you to have this." I didn't say anything.

He opened his mouth like he wanted to say something but didn't know how. After a couple of seconds, he shook his head and walked around me.

And I let him leave.

<*~*~*~*>

The Common Room was empty by the time I got back. The full moon shone through the window and I thought ruefully of the werewolf who'd died for the wizard community. He would be ashamed of how we had turned out after the war. We'd split up and there was a new war on the brink of starting.

I had a solid two minutes of free time reading my book before Percy Jackson burst through the portrait hole. Sad, but that's more than I'd been getting lately.

"Hermione," he called, grinning, "I found the stuff." I didn't ask what he meant, but I knew. Suddenly my book didn't seem so important anymore.

I raced out of the portrait hole with him, knowing full well it was after curfew. He led me through unfamiliar halls that I was sure hadn't been here a couple of months prior. When Percy was well ahead of me, racing through the labyrinth of corridors as if he had lived here his entire life, I pulled out the parchment that Ron had given me and whispered. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

The map came to life, and sure enough, these passageways weren't even connected to the school. You would have thought that the Marauders of all people would have known they were here.

Something tickled at the back of my mind, something Harry had said two months ago. I shook myself. I wasn't supposed to be thinking about them. I'm not even their friend anymore.