Chapter 20

Wow. It's been a long time. Well, technically sixteen days, but it feels like a really long time. I honestly don't know why it took that long. It's not even that good of a chapter.

Percy's POV

I walked out of the Great Hall with Raydon and Sophia at my side. Both of them were smiling nervously and I grinned. "So, we're going to compete with each other, huh?" Sophia smiled, "Yeah. So, did you patch things up with your girlfriend or not?" I nodded happily, "Of course." Raydon nudged me with his shoulder, "Annabeth? Don't ever let her go, man." I laughed, "If I did, she'd kill me." At the same time, my competitors said, "Then we'd kill you." I slung my arms around both of them, "This is gonna be a great tournament."

The teachers led us into Dumbledore's office, where the Headmasters and McGonagall were gathered. "Hello, champions," Dumbledore said, "The Goblet of Fire has graciously chosen you for our tournament. Please be aware that there is no backing out, and that this should be conducted with good sportsmanship." McGonagall swept her gaze over us, "Your first challenge will take place in little under a month. Please be prepared for anything that might come your way. Judges will be the headmasters and two others. Mr. Ludo Bagman has opted out of coming this year, so they will be-" She was cut off as two figures burst through the door. "Chiron!" I exclaimed, "And... Fred?" It was Apollo, but I shouldn't call him that in front of the wizards. "Percy," Apollo said, "I see you're doing well." Chiron's eyes turned stern, "Just because we know you, doesn't mean we'll go easy on you, m'boy. I need you at your best."

I grinned, "I wouldn't expect any less." Dumbledore's eyes were twinkling as he whispered ominously, "Beware, champions. You may find this quite... beastly." As we were released by the Headmasters, I ran to Annabeth, who was still enjoying her dinner. She smiled, "Is it crazy that I knew you were going to get picked?" I shook my head, panting, "Not at all. Guess who's here." Annabeth shrugged, "Piper? Jason? Malcolm?" I was beyond excited, "Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Mr. Brunner." She almost fell off the bench. "If you're tricking me, Percy, I swear you will find my magical knife down your throat." Hermione rested her head on her hands, "Who's Mr. Brunner?" Annabeth said, "Practically my second father," at the same time as I said, "My mentor." Hermione nodded thoughtfully, "He must be really important." I sat down next to Annabeth and lowered my voice, "He trains heroes, guys. It's Chiron, the one from Greek Mythology." Ginny smiled, "That's cool. So when's the challenge gonna be?" I looked up at the ceiling, "Sometime mid-November. But I'm ready for anything they throw at me. Although, Dumbledore said something like, 'You'll find it quite... beastly.' Almost like it was a clue or something." Harry smiled, "What if it is a clue? Last year it was dragons. Maybe this time, it's something to do with beasts!" Hermione beamed, "That does sound like something Dumbledore would do. A hint. I'll head to the library and research some beasts for you. Coming?" I shook my head, stretching. "I'll just wing it. But you can shove your nose into some books if you want." Annabeth sighed, "You might as well leave him be, Hermione. Percy usually sees what the problem is and gets any background information he needs from me." I nodded, "Yup. How can I not? Annabeth always says to use my best resources. What better resource than the brain of a child of Athena?" She shoved me into Ron.

"Whaddya want, mate?" he asked with his mouth full, "Can't you see I'm trying to eat my pumpkin pasties?" His eyes flicked over my shoulder, narrowing in rage. He swallowed, "Viktor. How goes Quidditch?" I turned around. Raydon and his Headmaster were standing there with smiles on their faces. "It is going well, Ronald. Thank you for asking. This is my protege, Raydon. The best Seeker in the school, almost surpassing myself." Ron motioned to Harry, "This is our best seeker. Maybe they can go head to head sometime." Harry looked down at his food, embarrassed and guilty. He looked at me with hooded eyes. I knew that he knew I had purposely let him win. Which means he wasn't the best seeker in the school. I was. Harry might not even be second because Annabeth probably was. This could lead to some problems later. Harry smiled tightly, "Well, our first game against Hufflepuff is going to be in a week. Maybe you could drop by." Viktor wasn't even looking at him because he was too busy staring at a red-faced Hermione. He grinned distantly, "Of course, of course. Will I have the pleasure of cheering beside you, Hermione?" Hermione was stunned, "Y-You said my name right." Viktor nodded, "I have been striving to get it right ever since I met you. I've been practicing, hoping this moment would come." Raydon leaned toward me, "It's really very creepy and mildly stalkerish. A grown man repeating the same word into a mirror over and over again?" He shuddered playfully. I laughed, quickly stifling it as Viktor turned his gaze to me. "You seem like a very competent rival for Raydon. I hope you do well." I tilted my head. Was that supposed to be a compliment? Nevertheless, I smiled, thanking him. As he walked away, Hermione sighed. I wiggled my eyebrows, "Headmaster seems to like you a lot, Hermione." Ron huffed angrily, "Well, too bad for him." Hermione looked taken aback, "Excuse me, Ronald?" He quickly stuffed his face with a Pumpkin Pasty. "Nothing," he muttered, "Nothing at all." Hermione stood, "It wasn't nothing. What do you want, Ron?" Ron stood as well, "I don't want to talk about it!" Hermione's eyes narrowed, "Then why did you bring it up?" Ron's face turned as red as his hair, and he backed down from Hermione's accusatory gaze, "No reason."